New rules for jogging and cycling outside under level 4 lockdown

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I did look for this, it wasn't specifically mentioned. The requirement for masks seems unilateral though. Wearing a mask makes for difficult breathing even if you're standing in the queue at Spar, going to make things very interesting when running.

Not everything is going to be spelt out, common sense will have to prevail, I doubt law enforcement would be running alongside you checking if the mask is covering your mouth and nose at all times.

Tacet

Expert Member
@KhoisanX , @newby_investor
From the published gazette:
1588226567220.png
I didn't see any exclusions to this, so the answer seems to be yes, you'll wear your mask when jogging. I'm fine with that - will be uncomfortable but doable. Its just the fact that exercise time is so limited and in working hours that I feel is totally unreasonable and unjustified.

newby_investor

Expert Member
@KhoisanX , @newby_investor
From the published gazette:
View attachment 831586
I didn't see any exclusions to this, so the answer seems to be yes, you'll wear your mask when jogging. I'm fine with that - will be uncomfortable but doable. Its just the fact that exercise time is so limited and in working hours that I feel is totally unreasonable and unjustified.
Yeah, I kind of thought that would be the case. It's actually just about the only rule that I agree with. Cloth masks (if everyone wears them properly) should actually go quite a long way to slowing down the spread of any such infection - winter colds and flu included.

That being said, exercising with a mask on will still suck.

acidrain

Executive Member
Yeah that's great, ~R5k+ for one of these indoor trainer things, plus you can't actually buy one at the moment so if you don't have one already tough luck. $15 per month for Zwift which is around eleventy thousand rand at the moment.

<note that this is all just sour grapes and I'm actually really jealous. Would love this arrangement, totally better than watching whatever the wife wants on Netflix in the evenings...>
I'm in the same boat, waiting for stock but until then I will either go running (if training) or a casual ride (to get out).

That said, I am well aware of the cost factors, but my point being: If you using training as a reason the distance is too short, this means you not really a casual rider and therefore I would bet 80% that ones bike is no less than 15k, which means cost factor for an idt is not really relevant.

5k radius is quite a distance.... overall. My rides after work I'm only riding just outside that radius so it's completely doable but does depend on where you stay.

newby_investor

Expert Member
I'm in the same boat, waiting for stock but until then I will either go running (if training) or a casual ride (to get out).

That said, I am well aware of the cost factors, but my point being: If you using training as a reason the distance is too short, this means you not really a casual rider and therefore I would bet 80% that ones bike is no less than 15k, which means cost factor for an idt is not really relevant.

5k radius is quite a distance.... overall. My rides after work I'm only riding just outside that radius so it's completely doable but does depend on where you stay.
For running I agree with you - 90% of my training runs don't go further than 5km as the crow flies from my house. Distances usually between 10 and 20 km.

On a bicycle though... I try to combine training with an opportunity to see something interesting and go where I haven't gone before, or to hit a nice incline to do some hill training, and all the fun usually starts 10km+ from home!

(Even a semi-serious cyclist can be cost sensitive. My road bike cost me R3000 on bike-hub a couple of years back, an old model but in decent nick and I've looked after it!)

B-1

Expert Member
And we all thought Zuma was a buffoon. I don't care what anyone says but what he pulled with his ex wife is pure genius.
Starting to wonder if thats why hes ready for a court date.

Tacet

Expert Member
Cycling in a 5 km radius - very doable, unless you live in an area where cycling is unsafe. I'll be happy to cycle in laps around my block - it will be boring, but will keep me fit. Also, a circle with 5 km radius has a 30 km circumference. It's really not as bad as it sounds. ;)

Interesting: seems like you may be allowed to visit family in prison, but not family out of prison. I may be reading that one wrong, though. :X3:

1588227502593.png
1588227521247.png

MissMapp

This has got nothing to do with the virus.

My (admittedly paranoid) suspicion that these deep dive rules and last-minute changes are nothing but a test to see how f***ing dumb, complacent and easily controlled South Africans are is becoming more and more obvious.
Especially the middle and upper class, that's what this is about. They don't give a phuck about the poor areas, that's what the almost 80K troops are for, they've always had an unease about rattling the cages of the taxpayer demographic too much without a good excuse.

But please, don't mind me, let's spend another 20 pages chatting about the minutiae of these rules and the "science" and "reason" behind it. No need to keep your eye on the ball folks. Nothing to see here.

If the authoritarian perniciousness of this petty rule doesn't make your blood boil and keep you awake at night we're dealing with a you problem:

View attachment 831446
ja baas, dankie baas, jammer baas.

Just got off the phone with a friend of mine, he was the one to inform me that the planned sale of cigarettes has been cancelled. He's seeing red, as in, he'll f***ing murder someone right now and I was hoping he could answer the "who" question for the both of us.

I'm going to keep putting these insane thoughts out there with the hope that future me gets to laugh at how paranoid I was... soon.
Nothing at all to do with the virus, agreed. I have no intention of eagerly reading every update on the petty arbitrary rules, and asking what I may and may not do. Just quietly get on with it, do whatever you can to make life endurable are the moment, use common sense and take a few calculated risks. You take uncountable risks every day anyway in the course of just being alive. Even if these rules had anything to do with saving lives (they don’t) merely preserving life at a biological level so you can carry on eating and breathing isn’t enough to make life worthwhile.

FrankCastle

Executive Member
The amount of negative comments in this thread is astonishing. Few things.
This is merely an introductory and precautionary measure to start and before you know it much more time will be allowed for jogging and cycling.
At any given time there are so few joggers on the road its hardly something to get worked up about. The die-hards will just make do until the next level which Im sure is just around the corner.
Be grateful that its happening now and not at level 3 or something.

Some people go on as if its the new permanent law as set out in the constitution. Relax.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
If I walk within a 5 km radius from my house I can basically go anywhere in my little town and even outside town

karnuffel

Expert Member
6AM is still pretty dark in Gauteng, surely letting people out at this time is dangerous? We are fortunate because we have lights that we use when cycling to improve visibility, but not everyone will have this. Im also not fond of cycling alone, so Ill stick to cycling indoor and maybe run a 1KM loop on the road.

Check your 'allowed' 5km radius with THIS site.
I posted the link on the one whatsapp group that I am on and one Muppet moaned because the site did not accurately pick up his location :/ meh

sgs

You can already walk to the shops anyway at any time. So can I now only go shopping before 9am?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
6AM is still pretty dark in Gauteng, surely letting people out at this time is dangerous? We are fortunate because we have lights that we use when cycling to improve visibility, but not everyone will have this. Im also not fond of cycling alone, so Ill stick to cycling indoor and maybe run a 1KM loop on the road.

I posted the link on the one whatsapp group that I am on and one Muppet moaned because the site did not accurately pick up his location :/ meh

Then don't go out? That's when I walk my dog.