"New SAA" to be relaunched in January 2021 - Report

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
"New SAA" to be relaunched in January 2021- Report

SAA is set to relaunch in January 2021, according to a report from the Sunday Times.

The report stated that the government is working with private sector investors for the relaunch – and that is had received “more than 10 unsolicited offers” to partner with SAA.

These interested investors are also exploring potential integrations of SAA and its subsidiaries, including SAA Technical and Mango.

Sl8er

Executive Member
New SAA set to relaunch in January 2021

MRW-watching-people-fail-jimmy-fallon-eating-popcorn.gif
indiana-jones-popcorn.gif

* waits for inevitable "great anc success" *

ConfusedR

So, the new ANC SOE is starting next year:
- new looting company
- company to enforce BBBEE.................(BBBEE: legislation forcing a company to employ "30 percenters")
- company to employ ANC cadres for more stealing
- more commissions of enquiries.............which will find ANC cadres stealing and looting but nothing will happen to them
- Cyril will be shocked
- etc.

garyc

Expert Member
Having an airline has always been a good way to transfer money offshore due to the international basis of the business. There must be several interested parties.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I'm just assuming international travel restrictions will be lifted by January 2021. Else what the ****.

Spizz

Goat Botherer
It has also been reported that equal employment metrics will be more important than seniority for determining which pilots will be retained at the new SAA.

:ROFL:

MirageF1

Executive Member
As part of the restructuring, SAA’s current complement of 625 pilots will be cut to 88.

This is to address concerns from sectors players that the majority of pilots and cabin crew in the local aviation sector are white.

That hardly applies to the almost all black current SAA.
More brain drain of pilots. hey ho.

"New SAA" name should be aptly called "Kamikaze"

Slegdehammer67

If they launch the 'New SAA' from the same base, they will NEVER reach the Moon and most probably just be placed in an orbit around the earth with no prospects of ever landing...

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Can anyone actually name a Government entity or State owned company that has been successfully turned around and prevented from future looting?
What is the ANC's track record in this regard?
Do we have room to be optimistic?

randomcat

Expert Member
Can anyone actually name a Government entity or State owned company that has been successfully turned around and prevented from future looting?

51% owned by private sector with no government(ANC/Gupta) interference and no pre-existing ties government(ANC/Gupta)

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member

Telkom got "better" than it was...

TEXTILE GUY

Honorary Master
It has also been reported that equal employment metrics will be more important than seniority for determining which pilots will be retained at the new SAA.

This is to address concerns from sectors players that the majority of pilots and cabin crew in the local aviation sector are white.

1598179958766.png

neoprema

Expert Member
I know a lot of people are hating on SAA, but for many business people its a lifeline. Ethiopian Airlines does not fly everywhere, and many African cities we fly to for business would require a 24h+ turnaround trip on ET vs a 3hour flight on SAA due to schedules.

Also, some African countries airlines are just so bad with safety, people don't want to risk flying them. So yes, SAA is a problem, it is a money issue especially if it remains state-owned, but at the same time its helping many many businesses who need staff on-site in African countries in a relatively short time to be able to keep their turnover and thus hire staff and grow. And of course it works both ways. Not to mention how much courier work they handle for cargo too.

As someone who flew on SAA at least 3-4 times a month outside of ZA, I can tell you compared to other African airlines i've been on (with exception of ET) it was gold. I hardly ever had problems, the staff were polite, pilots regardless of race, were great and i think once in a year was there a mechanical delay.

The problem is how government handles their owned businesses, but we should not force what is clearly an airline with tons of potential not to re-open just because we don't like the government who have a stake in it. What we need is for proper controls, monitoring and a private 3rd-party to have an interest in the airline so that they keep everyone on top honest.

markings

Expert Member
I know a lot of people are hating on SAA, but for many business people its a lifeline. Ethiopian Airlines does not fly everywhere, and many African cities we fly to for business would require a 24h+ turnaround trip on ET vs a 3hour flight on SAA due to schedules.

Also, some African countries airlines are just so bad with safety, people don't want to risk flying them. So yes, SAA is a problem, it is a money issue especially if it remains state-owned, but at the same time its helping many many businesses who need staff on-site in African countries in a relatively short time to be able to keep their turnover and thus hire staff and grow. And of course it works both ways. Not to mention how much courier work they handle for cargo too.

As someone who flew on SAA at least 3-4 times a month outside of ZA, I can tell you compared to other African airlines i've been on (with exception of ET) it was gold. I hardly ever had problems, the staff were polite, pilots regardless of race, were great and i think once in a year was there a mechanical delay.

The problem is how government handles their owned businesses, but we should not force what is clearly an airline with tons of potential not to re-open just because we don't like the government who have a stake in it. What we need is for proper controls, monitoring and a private 3rd-party to have an interest in the airline so that they keep everyone on top honest.
Are these flights profitable?

neoprema

Expert Member
Are these flights profitable?

I reckon some were, and some weren't. There is an ongoing backstory that SAA was flying to some destinations simply because MP's wanted them to or MP's had business relations there. That kind of thing needs to be stopped.

I was mainly on JHB to Maputo, Lusaka, Mauritius, Ndola, Gaborone, Lilongwe, Blantyre, Dar es Salaam, Windhoek and of course our internal cities. And for the most part those were busy, including business class.

There are other airlines that can get me to those destinations namely Ethiopian, British/Comair and LAM but some of the schedules were just insane. I mean a 2 hour flight to Blantyre becomes 18 hours on Ethiopian due to connections and stopovers.

Its a sucky situation, i just hope SAA lands up in the hands of people who will run it properly and chase any scaly MP's out with a sjambok.

[EDIT] Oh, and I do also hope the new SAA prices International flights properly. I'm sorry but when you're quoting more to Europe than BA, Lufthansa or Virgin you either have to be the worlds top airline or you have some serious profit miscalculations that will just get people to move to any other of a plethora of affordable airlines.

MirageF1

Executive Member
[EDIT] Oh, and I do also hope the new SAA prices International flights properly. I'm sorry but when you're quoting more to Europe than BA, Lufthansa or Virgin you either have to be the worlds top airline or you have some serious profit miscalculations that will just get people to move to any other of a plethora of affordable airlines.

Part of the reason, if small, they went kamikaze.

Hadn't travelled on SA for a decade on LHR-CT/JHB router because of insane pricing(used BA, Virgin and local affiliates for internal connecting flights between CT and JHB)