New SAA will prioritise equal employment over experience for pilots

Sl8er

Executive Member

In terms of the selection criteria, SAA wants to use a “first-in-first-out” approach, which benefits employees with longer years of service. This will be subject to the relevant skills, qualifications, and experience for the position.

However, the airline has included that an equal employment veto be used to ensure reasonable representation for black, female, and disabled employees, in order to address historical imbalances.

krycor

Honorary Master
So this is gonna suck for them fast as you can’t do that .. at best u do pairing.

I wonder if airline pilots will become the next marketed skills positions.. you know, companies proudly showing who is flying your flight with their stats on hrs flown, yrs exp etc. like an Uber rating

I see this coming to medical industry as privatization has happened but idiot ones ironically charge more than experienced & good track record ones. interesting times ahead.

Only reason we don’t have this already in place for IT etc is it requires administration for setting standards on reporting, metrics of evaluation etc all of which can be done by the professional council if you ask me.. but vested parties don’t like everyone starting on a **** salary.

Airline routes are pretty standard and metrics on landing, take off, coms with ground etc all very do-able for QA metrics.

access

Honorary Master
so that guy that landed the plane on the hudson river...

the local version will go something like, i was able to crash into the limpopo river cause i is black. lol

disabilities... what kind of disabilities. will they still adhere to the same medical conditions as the non disabled? surely the standard set is there for a reason.

its actually funny, this used to be a joke a few years back, get to fly a commercial plane cause youre black. the next joke was have a surgeon operate on you cause their black. waiting for it...

Pegasus

Expert Member
I guess its one way of getting the cadres to quit flying SAA for free.

Pity they let Kulula go bankrupt. No competition whatsoever now.

C4Cat

Executive Member
In terms of the selection criteria, SAA wants to use a “first-in-first-out” approach, which benefits employees with longer years of service. This will be subject to the relevant skills, qualifications, and experience for the position.
This bit doesn't make sense to me :unsure:

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
So they want to reduce the salary bill by retrenching the higher paid experienced staff and retaining the black inexperienced staff.

When they transformed Eskom from one the world greatest electricity providers into a pile of **** they did exactly the same. Our clever ANC never learns. No wonder this continent just struggles along.

R13...

Honorary Master
So FIFO, which benefits experience but they'll also try to balance equity. Don't see a problem there.

C4Cat

Executive Member
So FIFO, which benefits experience but they'll also try to balance equity. Don't see a problem there.
FIFO makes it sound like the most experienced (FI) will be the first to be kicked out (FO) :X3:

xeslaro

Executive Member
625 pilots
FIFO makes it sound like the most experienced (FI) will be the first to be kicked out (FO) :X3:
I think he means the most experienced will benefit the most from a severance package. Years of service and package deal will be livable. In contrast with junior staff, who with less years of service, won't benefit that much from a retrenchment package deal.