New SARS technology to go after tax-dodging South Africans

semaphore

Honorary Master

Milano

Honorary Master
So home affairs will still be in a condemned building, drivers license renewal in a bunch of mobile homes where people are treated like cattle and my local police station still a trailer park. It is a sad reflection on government when it only treats its citizens like human beings when collecting revenue and never when providing services.

JayM

Expert Member
So home affairs will still be in a condemned building, drivers license renewal in a bunch of mobile homes where people are treated like cattle and my local police station still a trailer park. It is a sad reflection on government when it only treats its citizens like human beings when collecting revenue and never when providing services.
Not even. Right now SARS seems unable to collect dividends withholding tax. Been struggling for weeks to get the correct reference out of them for payment - eventually had to use a previous one and hope they allocate it correctly. Complete joke when they can't even get revenue collection right.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Hopefully there new system will accommodate collecting tax from all the foreign nationals living in this country, none that I know pay any tax, other than VAT.

Reactions: rh1

Swa

Honorary Master
So headline says new technology but article then mentions nothing and just goes on to a few new positions.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Hopefully there new system will accommodate collecting tax from all the foreign nationals living in this country, none that I know pay any tax, other than VAT.
They have to pay tax back to their country of birth. Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act.
Not sure if they need dual citizenship to buy property in SA. Not clued up on this last part.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
They have to pay tax back to their country of birth. Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act.
Not sure if they need dual citizenship to buy property in SA. Not clued up on this last part.
Awesomely, logical, they earn money here, and pay tax back home, how does, where ever home, is determine what was earned here. Or do they just pay a token R50.00 a year tax, to prove they are not starving to death here, and are being well looked after by the local authorities.

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Awesomely, logical, they earn money here, and pay tax back home, how does, where ever home, is determine what was earned here. Or do they just pay a token R50.00 a year tax, to prove they are not starving to death here, and are being well looked after by the local authorities.
In the case of USA, the financial institutions in SA have to submit an encrypted data packet to the IRS, for all American citizens living in SA.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Those I mentioned, own supermarkets, cafes etc. and the closest they come to a bank is their back pocket.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Just link eNatis, the Deeds office and SARS.

Then when Mayors have 20 Lamborghini's and 4 Durban houses, but earn R2m package, it can raise a flag.

joker08

If it's a salaried foreign national they have to pay income tax like any other SA citizen.
Are u referring to self employed foreign nationals??