New Scammer and Fraudster listing system

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
I also am not sure how safe hellopeter is in the greater scheme of things - especially when you move outside of the realm of consumer complaints about ****ty service and into claims of illegality
HelloPeter actually star out words like 'fraud'.

When the complaint is actually about the 'fraud division', hilarity ensues:

http://hellopeter.com/standard-bank/complaints/*****-division-sms-supplying-some-random-number-1391499
***** Division SMS supplying some random number

I got a SMS from the Standard Bank ***** division, encouraging me to contact them at 0102490070 and to provide a reference number. This number appears no where on their website, so there is no way I can confirm that this is REALLY Standard Bank. Why don't they send out the SMS with a number that is the OFFICIAL number on the website, something people can confirm? The ***** department of all departments should be so cautious of this, especially with PHISHING attempts. Really poor. all the lady said is, the number is correct. Are you encouraging us to phone incorrect numbers or click on links and just supply our information to some person on the other line and trust them? Come on ***** department, practice SAFE PHISHING and supply official numbers in your correspondence, because my SIM card has already won me millions!

House

Banned
The laws and courts are a hinderance to having a crime free SA, protecting themselves from going out of business maybe?
I think the biggest hinderance is the constitution, as all laws are basically functioning around it. There is no physical laws preventing such a website (but later POPI will), but such website could be seen as an infringement on human rights and that the reason why even government can't start such services, as example the sexual offences register.

But, yes, you are right that it is a hinderance to a crime-free country.

House

Banned
I was also wondering about that.
Yes, HelloPeter focus on consumer complaints and is not a resource for reporting scams or frauds. They will get away with this legally as they do not allow you to list people by names, surname, phone numbers, id numbers, etc., but you are rather lodging a 'consumer complaint'. Yes, they block out words like frauds and scams as they do not want to open themselves to legal repercussions should a company decide to institute civil actions. Also, they distance themselves and will remove an entry when they are informed that a complainant is taking civil actions against a reporter.

Paul Hjul

Honorary Master
I never knew this - I am not a fan of HelloPeter actually and don't use the service (I prefer to give the company hell)
HelloPeter actually star out words like 'fraud'.

When the complaint is actually about the 'fraud division', hilarity ensues:

http://hellopeter.com/standard-bank/complaints/*****-division-sms-supplying-some-random-number-1391499
ROTFL

I read ***** in a very specific way. Naturally it might well be in a banks interest to have a department dedicated towards gaining additional customers simply by increasing the population

Polemus

Expert Member
I never knew this - I am not a fan of HelloPeter actually and don't use the service (I prefer to give the company hell)

ROTFL

I read ***** in a very specific way. Naturally it might well be in a banks interest to have a department dedicated towards gaining additional customers simply by increasing the population
thats quite interesting

Polemus

Expert Member
1) Name change . .... Scam Lista obviously is not the right name ... :mad:
2) Remove references to fraud and scam, etc....
3) Instead of showing the details after a search, i can show that the search query returned XXX positive responces and XXX negative responses

So when a user reports a person, they can capture what ever info they have on that entity... When someone else searches for any of those details, i only respond with positive or negative results...

This should keep things simple.

I know we are touching HelloPeter functionality, but my aim is to have the API for places like gumtree and olx to be able to block posts prior to it being published. This way we make it safer for users to purchase things through these networks.