New Skyworth 86-inch Android TV launched in South Africa for R29,999

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Skyworth launches new 86-inch Android TV in South Africa — available at R29,999

Skyworth has launched its new 86-inch SUC9500 Android TV in South Africa at a recommended retail price of R34,999, taking the fight to Samsung, LG, and Hisense.

Although the recommended price for the Skyworth SUC9500 is R34,999, it is currently available from Takealot for R29,999.

The Skyworth SUC9500 features hands-free voice control, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos, and the Android 10 operating system.

The TV has a slim metallic frame, two-way Bluetooth transmission, and built-in Chromecast and Castplay.

It comes with a quad-core processor, 2GB DDR RAM and 32GB of Flash storage, 3 x HDMI ports, a LAN port, 2 x USB ports, and a DVB-T2 receiver.

Pre-installed streaming platforms include Youtube, Netflix, Showmax, Amazon Prime Video, and DSTV Now.

Solitude

Executive Member
Hmmm but there doesn't seem to be any reviews for it online. No Skyworth tv's at all on rtings.

system32

Expert Member
I had an Android TV.
The Android interface was OK.
There was a sever lack control on the HDMI input, color, tone, brightness, smoothing, HDR settings.
HDMI input settings were an afterthought.

Returned the TV and went with a Samsung - much better.
Google still learning how to make a UI.

wernervn

I already use Android TV on my Shield TV, so have no issues with that.

The refresh rate may be an issue, can't find specs for this model, but saw one site listing it as 50/60 Hz, so no ClearMotion-like tech.

Also don't know how well they are at upgrading the ATV OS. Nvidia is pretty good.

From what I can gather, the R30K price seems more realistic for what you get.

genetic

Honorary Master
Not for 4K HDR content. It's slow and clunky. The Nvidia Shield TV is much better.

Totempole

Expert Member
Honestly would rather have a "Dumb TV", pay a little less and use my own TV box/Stick which I can update over time.

wernervn

Honestly would rather have a "Dumb TV", pay a little less and use my own TV box/Stick which I can update over time.
Agreed. I think this is the Hi-Sense model listed in the article:
Link

Getting this with a decent TV Box/Stick seems to be a better buy.

Mawirepower

Tried these cheap android TVs before. Yooo the brightness is low. Returned a bunch of them. Unless it's OLED, it must have 1000nits peak brightness.