New solar installations launched in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
New solar installations launched in South Africa

The Austrian ambassador to South Africa officially launched two large solar power installations in Johannesburg today.

These SOLTRAIN projects include a district heating plant for Wits University residences and a solar process heating plant for the Klein Karoo International (KKI) tannery.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
TL;DR

1. Solar hot water heating <> solar power.
2. Even by Australian standards, 600m^2 of collectors cannot be considered large...

Quintrix

The Wits Junction district heating project combines solar, co-generation, and gas heating technologies, serving 14 student residence buildings that house 1,103 students with hot water from one centralised hot water plant room. This installation includes a 600m2 solar heating plant with 10m2 collectors.

Can anybody explain this to me. Does the hot water come from one central "geyser"? How does the remote buildings get their hot water.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
The Wits Junction district heating project combines solar, co-generation, and gas heating technologies, serving 14 student residence buildings that house 1,103 students with hot water from one centralised hot water plant room. This installation includes a 600m2 solar heating plant with 10m2 collectors.

Can anybody explain this to me. Does the hot water come from one central "geyser"? How does the remote buildings get their hot water.
The details are a bit skimpy (I did search). The only way to get hot water from one place to another is via insulated pipes. Must have been part of the design, because retrofitting would be prohibitively expensive.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
The details are a bit skimpy (I did search). The only way to get hot water from one place to another is via insulated pipes. Must have been part of the design, because retrofitting would be prohibitively expensive.
I'm going to assume that each building has its own collector array and storage tank, and the 600m2 figure is the combined size across all 14 buildings. The solution doesn't make sense otherwise.

ConfusedR

This is fantastic but what will Eskom do ?
They will ask for more increases because less people are using their product. They wont change their business model, they wont change anything to lower costs. They will just ask for more increases.