New South African DNS service makes it easy to filter web content

Thor

Honorary Master
No thanks. I'm against any filtering of the Web.

Fck Google too. Since what you search is not real.

viper2110

Doesn't opendns do the same thing, and it is free for home use.

Swingblade

using opedns for a while now and it works and is free. And guess what my router is supported. On this i can't get even if i wanted too cause my router is not supported? What i don't understand is don't you just change your dns settings on your router for this to work? I think they should rater put up a list of routers that is not supported.

Pythonista

Ugh - website has too much eye-candy. It needed switching off many protections to even half display. I gave up.

Vice

Expert Member
Fast internet speeds is fast become a myth due to a whole of things happening in the background of our browsers.

Nimz

Executive Member
Any free alternatives you guys can suggest?

I need to implement this at my office as the staff are killing my LTE cap

Franna

Expert Member
Would seriously consider using P8DNS if one of the DNS servers is located in Cape Town, for faster DNS lookups and better fail-over redundancy.

P8DNS1 - 41.79.180.180 [Mweb JHB]
P8DNS2 - 41.79.181.181 [Mweb JHB]

neoprema

Executive Member
All the privacy people jumping up and down, you _DO KNOW_ that any other DNS server you are using can log? and a profile can be built on you from previous IP addresses etc etc whether your ISP consolidates this or other. If having your DNS queries logged is worrying you I suggest you turn the wall-plug off on all internet -connected devices :)

Back on topic - the service is good for people who cannot afford or do not know how to setup an appliance-based or custom-built proxy/firewall for URL and content protection.

Might they log and sell your browsing habits? Possibly. But if you did not know there's another 20 ways for them to be already doing that you're in for a surprise :)

neoprema

Executive Member
Thanks, gonna give this a try on my kids ipads.

TIP - sometimes on an iPad i've found it blocks legitimate sites at random (although rare). I think its possibly a caching issue on the device but a simple off-and-on of the Wifi tends to fix it. Could also occur when you whitelist a site previously blocked even though OpenDNS is reflecting the changes.

Nimz

Executive Member
Damn, cannot change DNS on this stupid Huawei B593s-601 Router :mad: