New South African Network Status Website - Please test

Status
Not open for further replies.

adielk

Executive Member
Not really sure why I would use it. I get notifications from my ISP for any issues that impact me. Interesting? Maybe. Useful? Not really.
But now you can see if ISP specific or nationwide.

adielk

Executive Member
Would be useful if indicates what overseas cables the ISP uses. But its a want not need feature

Would quickly show if ISPs linked to a specific cable will be affected.

Reactions: Yuu

Itsa Trap

It's a clean layout, I'll give you that. But it took me forever to get people at the office to learn about Downdetector, as everyone comes running to me when there are issues with the internet / services. Nobody, outside of tech savvy people, really knew about it. So maybe combine it with something like Eskom se Push type app? (Maybe you are doing that, I just did not read the whole explanation... still half asleep.)

muhcho

Looks very useful, something I would definitely use. Thanks.

Zodiac69

Good idea, but if you want to add any value to this, you need to have a more comprehensive list of ALL ISP's in South Africa.
Yes, even the "small" providers...
Else it is just another tool that is useless to many people like all the others out there.
Rather detect the users ISP, like SpeedTest.net does and provide the user with His stats and a separate page for other network stats.
Unless this is a gimmick to get revenue from networks???

Antono

But now you can see if ISP specific or nationwide.
Ye still not useful. It is the job of my ISP to tell me what/where the problem is. We as consumers in RSA has grown so used to doing the job that the service provider is supposed to do that start looking for tools before even holding the service provider accountable. If your ISP does not inform you of an issue that impacts your service and cannot provide details then I suggest finding another ISP?

kevinsnov

I like it, it is a good idea, I think you could add some more info onto the graph to show how much activity is in the normal range. Maybe you add an sms feature that could alert users if there any problems on their network.

Cirala

Nice idea but some stuff is incorrect i.e. Vumatel is not an ISP but ".. Vumatel is not a service provider but simply installs the infrastructure "
I'm sure they will sort it out once they get going, I would definitely use the website.

Luke7777

Executive Member
Would like to be able to have all/favourites, so I can switch between only the stuff I'm interested in and everything. I'd also add the cable providers (Seacom, etc)

Aikho

Can someone assist me on how to get a Puk code for a Rain sim card please.

lilors

When you are on the page of your ISP: please add a block with their comments on network issues - similar than what you have in the Afrihost app

Vorastra

Expert Member
MyBroadband has built a new Network Status website to track network problems and outages on mobile networks and prominent ISPs.

The platform tracks Twitter posts and user reports on the website itself to determine if there are any network problems.

Your feedback on whether you will use it and how we can improve will be great.
So you guys have built...downdetector.co.za then?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I just reported a problem on Vodacom. There is not one actually, but wanted to see what kind of information it asks. It asks for absolutely no information as to what the problem is.

@rpm why not make this a actually useful tool not only for us as customers, but to the actual networks themselves. Would it not be great if we have a website like you have now, but when you report a problem, it asks you for the details. Things that would be useful to network operators

1. Your address (so they can pin point which tower
2. Your cell number (to check exactly what tower served you when the problem occurs
3. Is it data or voice related
4. Description of the problem (bad voice quality such as echo or cracking or no sound and in the case of data, no through put or loss of covers which indicates tower is down)

This would make it so much more useful and I imagine @jannievanzyl would have guys keep a eye on it also

davecreative

The concept is brilliant and supportive of customers! (at along last) I just hope that if the suppliers reply, they are prohibited from denying that there is a fault, and they are prohibited from using those obscene platitudes like; "thank you for your patience," "we are working hard," "your business is important to us," etc. They should apologise and provide a reasonable time to restore service no matter what the lawyers say. Qualified engineers doing the repairs must know how long a repair will take, or they are not qualified. Keep going My Broadband, this is what a ripped-off public needs.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Well there seems to be a massive mweb issue, 0.3mbs download speed across the board and 20 minutes on hold. Cause I can just access certain websites, cannot get to their one at all too slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.