New spectrum - What you can expect from Vodacom, MTN, Telkom, and Rain

Swa

Honorary Master
tl;dr: alleviate network congestion

So nothing really

Gazg

"And lower the cost of access to consumers"..........right, watch this space for the next excuse.

WalkWithMe

Well I don't expect anything to change with Rain since Vodacom seems to be piggybacking the **** out of their network.
If Vodacom have their own spectrum, they can rely less on Rain. Also hopefully the licence will not allow Rain to allow roaming on this spectrum.

Swa

Honorary Master
If Vodacom have their own spectrum, they can rely less on Rain. Also hopefully the licence will not allow Rain to allow roaming on this spectrum.
It's not the amount of spectrum but the amount of towers.

WalkWithMe

"And lower the cost of access to consumers"..........right, watch this space for the next excuse.
This is emergency temporary spectrum not permanent. We may see bundle specials. The equipment cost and long term auction cost (billions of Rands) will be paid by us the consumer. This is not only about price but stability and performance. I am hopefully though there will be a price discount.

Sarg3_ZN

Expert Member
Well now that they have the spectrum, fate has dealt them an exchange rate that has tanked, so they will be able to complain about the insane USD cost of data that they are purchasing from the under sea cable companies and are unable to absorb all those costs.

Edit : Talking about Vodacom and MTN

DXL

Expert Member
All we want for PREPAID users is for Data to be R10 and less Depending on Bundle size a Gigabyte valid for 31 Days.

Napalm2880

Expert Member
This whole article sounds like typical marketing fluffyness that you see on most organisations websites where they advertise services but at the end of the day you find they can only do 1/10th of what they say. I'd be interested to hear what the actual technicians and engineers have to say because as far as I'm concerned this temporary spectrum allocation is a complete waste of time for everyone.

There is no ways in hell any of our mobile operators will be purchasing specialized equipment to cover a portion of the spectrum that is only temporarily available - maybe another 2 weeks? In the case where their equipment support it, I'd imagine there are quite a few software configuration changes which requires change management, testing etc. etc. by which time our gov in their infinite wisdom has revoked permission to use the new frequencies.

chakniks

This whole article sounds like typical marketing fluffyness that you see on most organisations websites where they advertise services but at the end of the day you find they can only do 1/10th of what they say. I'd be interested to hear what the actual technicians and engineers have to say because as far as I'm concerned this temporary spectrum allocation is a complete waste of time for everyone.

There is no ways in hell any of our mobile operators will be purchasing specialized equipment to cover a portion of the spectrum that is only temporarily available - maybe another 2 weeks? In the case where their equipment support it, I'd imagine there are quite a few software configuration changes which requires change management, testing etc. etc. by which time our gov in their infinite wisdom has revoked permission to use the new frequencies.
They will have the spectrum till end of November. But it's still a bit of a big ask in terms of purchasing new infrastructure. Hopefully ICASA plans to give the operators the same frequency bands on a permanent basis later in the year, otherwise it could be really a messed up situation

Misanthrope

Vodacom's infrastructure is not geared for the 2600 band but rain's is. I don't know who's going to benefit from this but peronally I don't think it is rain clients.

PHeX

Will mobile operators be offering 5G during this period since "their networks are 5G ready"?

MegaTesla

I'm not getting anything on 2600 on Rain. Is it too soon?

Anyone else?

MegaTesla

Yes I'm on 1800MHz.

I see. So do they have towers with 1800MHz and tower with 2600MHz? So not the same hardware on all the Rain towers?

cavedog

Honorary Master
But they have been having 1 x 20MHz on 2600MHz since the start.

Reactions: Swa