New streaming service with SABC shows to launch in South Africa

JustAsk

Expert Member
Put/Leave the fscking SABC content on Youtube, monetize it with ads and geo-restrict it to South African viewers only. Surely that is a better long-term solution than expecting people to pay R70/pm?
The facts:

It's NOT a SABC service, it's an Asian company (previous ONTAPtv) that bought streaming rights for SOME Sabc shows FROM the Sabc.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
The facts:

It's NOT a SABC service, it's an Asian company (previous ONTAPtv) that bought streaming rights for SOME Sabc shows FROM the Sabc.
I completely understand that. My post was w.r.t. the SABC who need to do this as opposed to selling it's content to external suppliers.

JustAsk

Expert Member
I completely understand that. My post was w.r.t. the SABC who need to do this as opposed to selling it's content to external suppliers.
That's exactly what they did here. :confused:

Exploiting extra revenue channels is exactly what one would expect from any company, i don't understand this manufactured criticism by some.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member

They do not have a platform, to do this themselves. As I see it, they are testing the waters so to say, and letting a third party carry the can. Hence the 2 year contract. They hoping that in 2 years they will have a platform to do it themselves.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I watch the eNCA stream.. its generally better..
Speaking under correction but there is only one set of cameras in Parliament. So all the content comes from that one source. All that is different is what the respective producers decide to put on air.

Last edited:

Datura

Captain Faptastic
They are going to use this as an angle to start trying to claim licences from anyone that has a device that can connect to the interwebs. Crafty csnts. That's if they haven't already...

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Speaking under correction but there is only one set of cameras in Parliament. So all the content comes from that one source. All that is dfferent is what the respective producers decide to put on air.

Yeah but the narration and overlays make all the difference.

Roband

Banned
They are going to use this as an angle to start trying to claim licences from anyone that has a device that can connect to the interwebs. Crafty csnts. That's if they haven't already...
The SABC has been trying for years to get me to have a licence for owning a TV. They have not yet succeeded, and I'll bet they never will

c21532b986406ee95628b9b71ce7f026.gif
Being offered as a streaming service in South Africa you would expect some local servers to reduce latency while streaming but all servers are hosted in the United States by Amazon.

They also have no regard for user security as they haven't even implemented the basics and we all know that php and mysql are prone to many exploits.

Hopefully they allow users to purchase prepaid vouchers as I wouldn't dare save my credit card details on this site.

Screenshot_2019-02-20-07-25-16~2.png

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Excellent response! MyBB, how can you publish an article, effectively encouraging your members to go and look at the site as an absolute minimum and even sign up, without doing your own due diligence first?
We expect a little bit more from a forum dedicated to IT matters.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
View attachment 621750
Being offered as a streaming service in South Africa you would expect some local servers to reduce latency while streaming but all servers are hosted in the United States by Amazon.

They also have no regard for user security as they haven't even implemented the basics and we all know that php and mysql are prone to many exploits.

Hopefully they allow users to purchase prepaid vouchers as I wouldn't dare save my credit card details on this site.

View attachment 621754
Great response. How did you evaluate the site please? It would be very useful to know.