New Supersonic fibre prices

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
New Supersonic fibre prices

Supersonic announced that it has standardised its pricing model across all South Africa's fibre network operators (FNOs), effective for new customers from 22 August 2019.

The ISP now offers standardised asymmetrical and symmetrical packages across all networks, with speeds ranging from 10Mbps to 1Gbps.

Thor

Honorary Master
That is nice! The upload speeds are great as well.

Swa

Honorary Master
Pricing disparity is still out of wack. And it's over twice the price you pay in Mitchell's Plain.

rph72

Executive Member
That 50Mbps Async should be 50/25. Would be nice if all ISP's Async upload could be 50% of the download speed.

steveapple

"Sync" and "Async"? Surely Supersonic really intended to use the adjectives "SYMMETRICAL" and "ASYMMETRICAL", which could be abbreviated to "sym" and "asym"?

Synchronous means:
1 - happening, existing, or arising at precisely the same time,
2 - recurring or operating at exactly the same periods.
That is not the technical situation here.

Whereas symmetrical means - having balanced or equal proportions. Asymmetrical means the opposite - having unbalance or unequal proportions. Exactly what is intended - balanced (equal) or alternatively unbalanced (unequal) download and upload speeds.

Compare with "ADSL" - "AYSMMETRIC Digital Subscriber Line" wherein the download and upload speeds are not provided at the same rates.

Jomi101

Will never ever consider Supersonic. After taking 8 days to try and get back to me after I sent them an email informing them that their coverage map incorrectly indicates no Fibre coverage in my area, I got the message loud n clear. Stay away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!