New Telkom home fibre pre-order deal – including free 200GB LTE data

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member

cavedog

Honorary Master
24 month contract to get free install and router :X3:

Yeah if you don't and want month to month then you can but on Openserve they will charge you the fees.

R2300 for install
R565 for activation
~R1500 or so not sure the exact fees.

I asked the guy I already have an installation can you just migrate and they said no. Not sure if it's incompetence or what but Openserve you can definitely migrate but it seems they force the install fee if you are already installed or not and use that as cancellation fee if you cancel early or as an upfront fee when you take month to month.

Crazy.

Joseph matane

So this area's are part of FTTC to FTTH coverage roll out plan not bad but coverage map could be useful to see if this new markets are new or they are already serviced by other FNO's

mathebus

So this area's are part of FTTC to FTTH coverage roll out plan not bad but coverage map could be useful to see if this new markets are new or they are already serviced by other FNO's
Exactly. When they rolled out Fibre here by me, there was no indication on the map. No pre order. Just straight to LIVE on a random Friday.

Joseph matane

Exactly. When they rolled out Fibre here by me, there was no indication on the map. No pre order. Just straight to LIVE on a random Friday.
Please tell me your neighborhood name, I guess Openserve is first FNO to cover your neighborhood with FTTH neh I feel like yes all FNO's are roll out FTTH yearly but is duplication replication situation underserved neighborhoods are not getting connected

Skankhunt

Expert Member
I'd happily pay R100 per month more just so I don't ever have to deal with Telkom directly.

Although in my case (Afrihost) only R18 more, free router, free installation and thank goodness no contract.

mathebus

Please tell me your neighborhood name, I guess Openserve is first FNO to cover your neighborhood with FTTH neh I feel like yes all FNO's are roll out FTTH yearly but is duplication replication situation underserved neighborhoods are not getting connected
Parow Valley, CPT.
Octotel was first to roll out. Took their sweet time. Openserve came and were done in about 2 - 3 months+-
A month later after openserve was live, Octotel was live. 2 FNO's. I must be lucky :)

Botha22

I would sign up for this if I was in the coverage area. I never knew the day would come when I would look longingly at a Telkom product!

JustAsk

Expert Member
Hardly new...this product is available on their site for about 2 months now

And mybb didn't bother to find out the most important info: Where da hell is this planned list?
1621169901094.png

Last edited:

Petec

Expert Member
Well, fibre recently went live in my area, and it's Frogfoot and Cool Ideas for me. Happy as can be. In a month my connection has only been down for and hour due to planned maintenance and was clearly communicated to me beforehand.
Guess who keeps posting on our group "Is Frogfoot down again?"... Yup, the peeps signed up with Telkom.

system32

Expert Member
1621187511176.png

Twice bitten, three times shy.

1. Cancelled a Telkom account for home.
2. Cancelled a Telkom account for work.
Even though I gave them 30 days notice, they still billed me an extra month on both occasions.
Had to send proof of cancellation documents that had been uploaded to their website.
Was too much effort to claim back the extra bills.
My brother fought with Helkom for a year to cancel an account - R6,000 lost.
Telkom Dark Pattern - easy to sign up, very difficult to cancel.

This bad publicity is well earned by Telkom (I paid for it).
They are crooks that hide behind a non functioning call center.

AVOID.

Last edited:

KingLv

....No FUP?

2.2 Telkom reserves the right to amend these terms and conditions from time to time. Telkom will give written notice to each Consumer of such amendments and will place the amended terms and conditions on the Telkom website www.telkom.co.za and file such amended terms and conditions with the Authority, if required by law, which amendment will be deemed to be incorporated into the Agreement and bind the Customer from the date that the amendment has been filed with the Authority or published on Telkom’s website.

We've seen them change it before...

JonOpollo

Parow Valley, CPT.
Octotel was first to roll out. Took their sweet time. Openserve came and were done in about 2 - 3 months+-
A month later after openserve was live, Octotel was live. 2 FNO's. I must be lucky :)
Man what's your secret, on the otherside of parow valley we have octotel rolling out slow and have the openserve copper on poles but no plans for openserve fibre it seems. Do you guys still have copper via telkom/openserve?

Recently got openserve dsl for stability but refuse to pay that much for octotel's base packages. I am happy with dsl but the upload bites here sometimes with wfh.

mathebus

Man what's your secret, on the otherside of parow valley we have octotel rolling out slow and have the openserve copper on poles but no plans for openserve fibre it seems. Do you guys still have copper via telkom/openserve?

Recently got openserve dsl for stability but refuse to pay that much for octotel's base packages. I am happy with dsl but the upload bites here sometimes with wfh.
Yeah, I know that side of Parow is being weirdly neglected because its funny how Octotel was first working their before working my side. I guess its just random? but then again the demand was high this side, so much so that there was a Facebook page created to get fibre here. everyday I drive, I still see Openserve doing installations here and there, if not Openserve, then Octotel

We still have the copper. but once the fibre is connected, there's no going back lol.

Octotel is pricey. Hope they restructure with Frogfoot or Openserves modal.