New traffic laws will hit South African motorists hard – JPSA

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
How will this hit law abiding citizens "hard"? :confused:

Jladan

It will hit law abiding citizens hard when you are faced with an upstanding law informant officer giving you a choice between a R200 “spot fine” or 3 more demerit point which are impossible to get rid of

Messugga

Honorary Master
How will this hit law abiding citizens "hard"? :confused:

Because it seems as if those citizens will have little recourse in the event of being wrongly prosecuted. It looks like you'll have to pay to have even a chance of defending yourself, to a for-profit organisation which is incentivised to not treat you fairly at that.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Because it seems as if those citizens will have little recourse in the event of being wrongly prosecuted. It looks like you'll have to pay to have even a chance of defending yourself, to a for-profit organisation which is incentivised to not treat you fairly at that.

If that is the case these amendments will end up in court and be overturned

crackersa

Honorary Master
need more informatiin. I'm all for a point system bit something her just doesn't seem right

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Thanks - but in that case I can't help but think this is inevitable ↓

If that is the case these amendments will end up in court and be overturned

Adrianax

Banned
The amendments include the removal of the courts from the AARTO process, replacing them with a compulsion to make written representations to the Road Traffic Infringement Authority.

The courts would welcome this. I know that a large number of courts have requested this to be done for many years now.

This authority is funded almost entirely by traffic fine revenues and decisions by its officers can be appealed to a new tribunal within 30 days, he said.

There is an appeals process available it seems. Wonder who the tribunal will be?

Failure to exercise these options within the required timeframe will lead to a block on the issuing of a driving licence or vehicle licence disc, and the imposition of demerit points.

Here we go. I thought the ANC would push this into law.

Easter Bunny

Expert Member
this will definitely stop people from driving in the oncoming lanes on witkoppen.

definitely. no question. without a doubt.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Seriously? The people issuing the verdict have their salaries (and bonuses) paid via fine revenue?

'tis a joke surely...

TedLasso

Expert Member
Finally. Need to restore order on the roads. So I really hope this takes loads of taxi drivers off the roads permanently.. let's see the powers that be have the stomach to take on that fight

6 points for speeding(albeit a tad excessively) but 1 point for going over a solid white line or skipping a stop street or red light.

I wonder why....

OCP

Expert Member
Finally. Need to restore order on the roads. So I really hope this takes loads of taxi drivers off the roads permanently.. let's see the powers that be have the stomach to take on that fight
Yes, because as soon as you take away their drivers license they stop driving taxi's ;-)

Lupus

Honorary Master
Ooooh yaaah this has been in development for 17 years, they can't get E-natis correct, they cannot get AARTO right, they cannot get e-tolls right, they cannot even get fines now right. But this is somehow going to magically work? Enforcement of the law is what is needed, you can have as many laws as you like but if there is no enforcement it means diddly squat.

hornbill81

Ooooh yaaah this has been in development for 17 years, they can't get E-natis correct, they cannot get AARTO right, they cannot get e-tolls right, they cannot even get fines now right. But this is somehow going to magically work? Enforcement of the law is what is needed, you can have as many laws as you like but if there is no enforcement it means diddly squat.

This!

noxibox

Honorary Master
All I can see happening is those who lose their license will continue to drive.