New virus could bring a quarter-million PCs to their knees

TJ99

Honorary Master
Don't be silly, I doubt there's even a quarter million PC's in the world that have knees.

raind33r

Expert Member
I love this part from the article.."DNS servers are computer switchboards that direct Web traffic."
Can't wait till next time I have to explain what DNS is :twisted:

ponder

Honorary Master
I love this part from the article.."DNS servers are computer switchboards that direct Web traffic."
Can't wait till next time I have to explain what DNS is :twisted:

They're more like telephone directories.

borga

If I understand it correctly:
The virus infects the computers and redirect url queries to the Rogue DNS servers to browse the net, those server will be turned off and as URL will no longer be turned into IP for the computer to connect to, they will be unable to connect to the internet.

Now my question is this: If you control the DNS server you control to which IP the users will connect to when they query the DNS server with their URLs, why not redirect all URL queries to a website explaining to the users why they can't reach their intended website (that they have a virus) and also explaining to them how they can fix it. Wouldn't such an approach quickly reduce the number of infected computers or is there some reason why this wouldn't be possible that I am missing?