New Vodacom and MTN 3G/HSDPA prices compared

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Just give us pure uncapped for once. And stop perplexing the consumers and yourselves.

DOOMIE61

Why are there price's still expensive?! we have some ISP's offering R9 a gig

Skankhunt

Expert Member
I think I see a typo: 750GB for R 279 Per month. Not really possible for South Africa.

soldierboi

Can someone please explain Standard vs Advanced? The prices are extremley different for the two options.

theJonster

How does mtn's OOB work if you buy a once off bundle? say i buy a 2GB bundle and use it up, how long will my OOB rate be 19c??

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Can someone please explain Standard vs Advanced? The prices are extremley different for the two options.

With Advanced you pay lower out of bundle rates (linked to the cost per MB of the package you have) and with Standard you pay R2 per MB when the data bundle is up.

skateboardt

I think I see a typo: 750GB for R 279 Per month. Not really possible for South Africa.

saw that too... wouldn't mind paying that :) for that amount of data

how about listening to the consumer for a change and drop your data prices

Creag

The Boar's Rock

And just when I was thinking to myself how pleased I was to be on my landline ADSL package, I saw this ... lol :D

the_don46

Funny, I have a MyMeg500 contract (which finally expires August). I pay R249 every month (initially it cost R349 until the first price war started by MTN).

Now, from 500MB per month, I get 600MB without paying any extra so I am very happy things are moving more to my benefit (started @ R349 p/month with only 500MB).

But, now I see if I took my prepaid simcard and bought a "one-off/month-to-month/prepaid" bundle of 500MB I still get 600MB but I only pay R189 (that's R60 less than a contract customer!!!). Why have contract customer not receieved the most beneficial rates???

OH WELL!!! Only 3 more months and then BYE BYE VODACOM, HELLO MWEB ADSL :)

Shred

Expert Member
Company Rep
Funny, I have a MyMeg500 contract (which finally expires August). I pay R249 every month (initially it cost R349 until the first price war started by MTN).

Now, from 500MB per month, I get 600MB without paying any extra so I am very happy things are moving more to my benefit (started @ R349 p/month with only 500MB).

But, now I see if I took my prepaid simcard and bought a "one-off/month-to-month/prepaid" bundle of 500MB I still get 600MB but I only pay R189 (that's R60 less than a contract customer!!!). Why have contract customer not receieved the most beneficial rates???

OH WELL!!! Only 3 more months and then BYE BYE VODACOM, HELLO MWEB ADSL :)

I see more and more users ditching HSDPA, I wonder when they will wake up and do something about their customers leaving?

soldierboi

With Advanced you pay lower out of bundle rates (linked to the cost per MB of the package you have) and with Standard you pay R2 per MB when the data bundle is up.

Thanks, but I am still in the dark? Does standard = 3.6Mbps and Advanced = 7.2Mbps/14.4Mbps?

bekdik

Honorary Master
The entries all compare unlike volumes. Surely it would be useful if what was compared was charge / MB for each of the offerings?

Keeper

Honorary Master
This is all VERY Confusing to customers, only MWeb succeeded in making it fast, cheap and simple.

but what do you expect with Vodacom, they are part of iBurst? Wireless - they are all the same.

the_don46

Thanks, but I am still in the dark? Does standard = 3.6Mbps and Advanced = 7.2Mbps/14.4Mbps?

If you read the article you will see the speed is the same for all users or contracts. It's device dependent, i.e. If your phone or 3g card can support the faster speed, you will get it, regardless of what type of 3g customer you are.

Donsy

Why are these per Meg prices so high ?

The price that Vodacom / MTN pay for bandwidth, has tumbled dramatically over the last year - so what is going on here ?

Competition commission, where are you ?

Slayeruser

Expert Member
still rediculous pricess, hopefully pretty soon I will be saying good by to Vodacom:D