New water restriction tariffs hit Cape Town: what you need to know

chrisc

Executive Member
Have had to help out friend who runs AirBnB rentals from a 4 townhouse complex in Diep River. There is one meter for the complex and she has been receiving warning letters from Council about excessive water consumption. In the past weeks there have been 12 to 14 people staying there. On Thursday last week council came and fitted a device ahead of her water meter.

The result of this is that water is cut to zero between 4pm and 7pm. Council now require affidavits from all the residents, many of whom are from overseas, plus their ID number. Telling council these are visitors cuts no ice, this is their requirement and that is that

I have a couple from Sweden staying in my house until 3rd Jan since they are out all day and get back to find no water. Council maintain 5 litres is enough for a household for a day

The fellow on the phone from Council got quite aggressive and called her a waster

silkenphoenixx

A study was done of De Waterkant in Greenpoint. Developed by Village and Life Management the properties are owned by UK residents 40% Gauteng 20% Germany 15% Netherlands 15% and other EU countries 10%. Out of season occupancy rate is around 60%.

Village and Life specialize in the development, sale and management of second properties. They manage or own over 190 developments in the CBD and Atlantic Seaboard area.

The study showed that the owners of these properties have no intention of ever using them as a primary or permanent residence.

A separate survey by the author showed that the scale of second home prevalence in the area has led to the neighbourhood being cleared of former residents creating areas with very few permanent residents and little or no community.

Urban Tourism in the Developing World: The South African Experience By Gustav Visser

Maybe I can give you a pass on this one if you're not actually from Cape Town (based on your Oudtshoorn-ish location). De Waterkant is *tiny* and affluent. It's maybe a few hundred households. Definitely not representative of Cape Town or even of the City Bowl as a whole which includes such places as Salt River, Vredehoek, Tamboerskloof, Bo Kaap. All very different areas from De Waterkant.

air

Expert Member
A study was done of De Waterkant in Greenpoint. Developed by Village and Life Management the properties are owned by UK residents 40% Gauteng 20% Germany 15% Netherlands 15% and other EU countries 10%. Out of season occupancy rate is around 60%.
Village and Life specialize in the development, sale and management of second properties. They manage or own over 190 developments in the CBD and Atlantic Seaboard area.
The study showed that the owners of these properties have no intention of ever using them as a primary or permanent residence.

A separate survey by the author showed that the scale of second home prevalence in the area has led to the neighbourhood being cleared of former residents creating areas with very few permanent residents and little or no community.

Urban Tourism in the Developing World: The South African Experience By Gustav Visser

don't skirt around the issue. You mention De Waterkant, what % is that of the total - it is insignificant in relation to the area in question.
Again, I ask you, what is 'a large percentage of those properties...'?

Also, what part of 'look at total number of erven(include sectional title) in ALL city bowl/atlantic seaboard - not a large percentage at all' don't you grasp/understand?

Last edited:

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

There is probably another interesting phenomenon where there are more security guards living in the area than residents.
I have a friend who invested in a flat in Claremont, very small building with perhaps 5 units. The top unit is a large penthouse that is larger than the other smaller units. This penthouse is owned by a JHB couple who leave it vacant for most of the year. They don't want to rent it out as they want it open for when they need it.
Now because the unit is vacant so often its a soft target for break-ins and eventually the unit was broken in to and cleaned out. They forced all the other owners (mostly residents) to get 24 hour security and cameras... and made them contribute equally even though some of the other units were 1 bedroom apartments, so there had to be a special levy and the monthly levy had to increase.

I'm all for making it more expensive to have multiple properties.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

r

Isn’t De Waterkant a “managed” development almost exclusively built exactly for this purpose?

Basically like a glorified hotel.

As such I would expect the stats to correspond with the original purpose of these developments.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
Isn’t De Waterkant a “managed” development almost exclusively built exactly for this purpose?

Basically like a glorified hotel.

As such I would expect the stats to correspond with the original purpose of these developments.

It's exactly that.

Zoomzoom's stat is like taking a time share and saying that nobody lives there full time.

f2wohf

Honorary Master
I want what they are smoking.

So a household of 3 people is supposed to drink less than 2L a day, not wash, not brush teeth, not eat pasta, rice or anything that cooks in water?

That seems about right... :whistling:

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
So a household of 3 people is supposed to drink less than 2L a day, not wash, not brush teeth, not eat pasta, rice or anything that cooks in water?

People in the townships live on less...

theratman

Honorary Master

They are most certainly high, I drink around 2 litres of water a day, that's just water, I'm not including coffee etc. So that leaves me with 3 litres. Time to start using my municipal bin as a cr@pper or something. 5 litres is ridiculous.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Under the new restrictions, which are to be implemented on January 1, water usage greater than 10 500 litres a month will be classified as excessive and water management devices could be fitted at households exceeding that limit

There's 5-7 people in my house (without pets), very sure we're over that...

“The daily water usage limit will remain at 87 litres per person per day, wherever you are, unless targets continue to be missed as is currently the case.
87 * 30 * 5 = 13485.

The 10500 is the city limit for 4 people in a household.

Last edited:

f2wohf

Honorary Master
There's 5-7 people in my house, without counting pets, that barely covers drinking water on hot days...

How is 10 500 litres a month barely covering drinking water?

Even counting 10 people x 30 days x 5L, it would make 1500L. It leaves you 60L a day per person to wash and cook.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
How is 10 500 litres a month barely covering drinking water?

Even counting 10 people x 30 days x 5L, it would make 1500L. It leaves you 60L a day per person to wash and cook.

Sorry, messed up on that. Was backtracking water bill from 2 residences, forgot that the one had a pipe leak. (was using an excel spreadsheet where we keep track of it)

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

daveza

Honorary Master
Last edited:

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
As I read it you can use borehole water anytime except within a time period after rain.

Borehole usage outside the 'specified times' is 'discouraged', not prohibited.

Edit: actually,
http://resource.capetown.gov.za/doc.../Water_Restrictions_Guidelines_L6_English.pdf

no longer seems to specify borehole usage times.

Yeah the vibe I got was that you have to adhere to the old pre-no municipal water times but nobody seems to list them any more.

The specified times is exactly what I’m looking for.

Unfortunately your link is dead.