New water restriction tariffs hit Cape Town: what you need to know

Azg

Expert Member
He's spot on. They need to start with the planning and infrastructure now so if another drought comes we'll be in a better position. Fail to do so and there will be absolutely no excuses as to why they haven't taken measures.
It would be interesting to see how much of the additional revenue from the punitive water tariffs went to increasing the city's water supplies.

theratman

Executive Member
It would be interesting to see how much of the additional revenue from the punitive water tariffs went to increasing the city's water supplies.
It would be, however my uneducated guess is the funds are being diverted elsewhere. They need to drop / lower the (financial) restrictions or use the money, I suspect they'll do neither.

The basic charges are they being dropped as well?
Nope, it will be a permanent fixture of your rates bill. It's all about revenue. I think the CoCT fear many people are going to use much lower water in the future, even with the easing of restrictions, so the fixed charges make up for that.

https://m.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Ne...d-to-ease-water-restrictions-further-20181030

Some good news!

The City of Cape Town believes dam levels are high enough for water restrictions to be relaxed even further – possibly to level 4 or even level 3.

But the City cannot take steps to ease restrictions until the national Department of Water and Sanitation decides how much bulk water supply Cape Town will be allocated for the next hydrological year.

In the Western Cape's winter rainfall region the hydrological year begins on November 1

Geoff.D

Executive Member
What is very disturbing is that DWS is not updating their public domain data timeously, with some of their information documents still reflecting data as far back as July 2018.
Their lack of urgency to do their job does not help matters.

Gordon_R

Executive Member

BTTB

Unfortunately nobody can say what next winter has in store for us and while I wish we were back at Level 3 or 4 restrictions again, I fear such a relaxation might be premature, because I am unsure how much new capacity the City of Cape Town has brought to the party over the last 18 months and would this be enough to prevent another catastrophe.

We know of a couple of desalination plants, water extraction in the PHA, improvements on water recycling etc.
In regards to the PHA pump installations, were they actually installed and are they online and being utilised already or was it just in case of emergency. What about the extraction of water from Table Mountain Group Aquifer, was it ever implemented?

I think for the most part the citizens of Cape Town have done a great job in saving water. It will certainly be a case of the dams filling up quicker and staying fuller longer as a result of the residents efforts.

What always niggles in the back of my mind and any member who contributed to this thread will know my sentiments in this regards. Has it always been about the revenue stream for the City of Cape Town?
Balancing what the DWS gives them, to tariff scales they implement and getting the maximum amount of money out of us while still saving enough water to last until next winter.

Has our water problems been fixed. The short answer is NO.

noxibox

Honorary Master
The weekly report indicates 39Ml per day from augmentation last week. Cape Water and Dams Report says it currently ranges from 35Ml to 45Ml per day.

With dam levels higher than 2015 a restriction level one higher than whatever was in place that year could be sufficient. Keeping the restrictions too high risks using too little water.

noxibox

Honorary Master
You have to wonder what their plan is here. Lower restrictions when it hits 85% early in winter next year and then the dams overflow? With low usage overflowing is easily possible even with 2017 level rain. It's not sensible to have a single percentage target. That's not water management.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
No but it is very convenient.
And the timing is perfect to score lots of political mileage when the ANC lifts the restrictions just before we all vote next year.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Are people still allowed to sink boreholes?
This has been going on for most of the week and it is not the only property doing so.
IMG_20181115_174749_cr.jpg

PeterBee

Been trying for the last 3 months to obtain some financial and budget information from the City of CT re the water and electricity 'connection" fees introduced recently, and how these are disclosed in the 2018/2019 budget documents. Attempts via my ward councillor, budgeting dept, finance dept and various other City individuals have all produced a zero response.

Anybody here have a councillor, or contact at COCT, who still subscribes to the concept of transparent and accountable government?

BTTB

Treasury loses out on more than R1bn in VAT from drought-stricken farmers

The hydrological year ended on October 31. It is nearly the end of November and no decision has been made. We need to know how much water we're getting to be able to plan, to order seed, to know which orchards you can irrigate. Why is it taking so long?
It freaks me out when I hear such stories. Not only Agriculture, what about the builders, landscapers, nurseries etc.
Tens of thousands of peoples livelihoods are at stake and a flipping Government office and their officials can't come up with decisions since the 1st of November already, 4 weeks.

Gosh, cant we fire somebody already.
President Ramaphosa get in there and kick some ass, dammit.