• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

New water restriction tariffs hit Cape Town: what you need to know

Zoomzoom

Expert Member
Last edited:

Masataka

I assume the same applies to the desalination plans. I think everyone already knew this except those in charge at the City of Cape Town. There will be a lot of suffering and a huge economic cost to the whole country due to this monumental cock-up.
Yea, I’ve not for one second believed that they’d reach those volumes, and they sure as hell won’t meet deadlines.

MightyQuin

Executive Member
Ok but how? Is there a connector on can buy?
It depends on a few things. I suggest firstly to use a hosepipe that is very similar in thickness to the outlet pipe.
Then find a connector that either fits inside both or around the outside of both. Then use hose clamps.

Best is to take the outlet pipe and a small piece of the hose to a place that specializes in irrigation, like AGRICO or Spilhaus. A slightly bigger fitting going inside is best as you can heat up the hosepipe and the outlet pipe and insert connector and quickly cool it down in water.

Then still fit proper hose clamps.

The_Mowgs

Executive Member
It depends on a few things. I suggest firstly to use a hosepipe that is very similar in thickness to the outlet pipe.
Then find a connector that either fits inside both or around the outside of both. Then use hose clamps.

Best is to take the outlet pipe and a small piece of the hose to a place that specializes in irrigation, like AGRICO or Spilhaus. A slightly bigger fitting going inside is best as you can heat up the hosepipe and the outlet pipe and insert connector and quickly cool it down in water.

Then still fit proper hose clamps.
Yes there is an adaptor. Ask for assistance at your local h/w store and explain what you want to do.
Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Also make sure the hose is at some point higher than the machine's drum, or all the water will just run out and the machine will keep on refilling /facepalm :p
:crylaugh:

There is another factor to consider here, and that is back pressure. Washing machine design assumes that the water from the waste pipe will flow more or less unhindered . But extending the pipe with a hosepipe may just cause sufficient back pressure to slow down the whole process of the drum emptying when it is supposed to. So some experimentation is required.

At my moms place we solved the issue by allowing the waste water to fill the bath and then lead the water into the garden from there or use the water to flush toilets.

with this lowering of pressure in the pipes comes new problems

COCT apparently noted that if any damage occurs on your property like burst pipes etc. it will be for your account
so I've heard

MightyQuin

Executive Member
with this lowering of pressure in the pipes comes new problems

COCT apparently noted that if any damage occurs on your property like burst pipes etc. it will be for your account
so I've heard
No lowering of water pressure will cause burst pipes in a house.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
The sudden shutting down of a water feed will cause a drop in pressure. When the valve opens again the pressure spike depending on what was "on" at the time such as a washing machine etc, could cause pipes to move resulting in what is called water hammer, and that could easily lead to leaks in joints a burst pipes in older houses.