New .xyz domains available for free

Nephew_

What is the catch? I assume there will be a yearly cost, will go and check now.

krycor

Honorary Master
Which isn't too bad.
I guess it depends.. I see their front end is messed up as you currently pay for the free year if you want the domain for longer than 1 year. <-- they need to fix that mistake.. see here
Screen Shot 2016-06-01 at 09.52.21.png

Genisys

Honorary Master
I guess it depends.. I see their front end is messed up as you currently pay for the free year if you want the domain for longer than 1 year. <-- they need to fix that mistake.. see here
View attachment 365868
Get in contact with them. Ask them to fix it suspect it isn't a mistake though.

Last edited:

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep

kianm

Honorary Master
Sign up for free, get excited for a few days. forget about it. get hit by a R200 bill next year.

NO!

kianm

Honorary Master
.xyz ranks low in terms of spam, more information is available on Spamhaus's site
https://www.spamhaus.org/statistics/tlds/ - how ever it does fall within the top 5 for online fraud, this can be expected considering its rapid growth. Either way its your second best to a com

View attachment 365884
I agree with the graph, one of our domains gets lots of hits from .top domains . Irritating but thanks to intelligent filtering all that crap gets stopped at the gate

Christo4

I am not talking about renewing it after a year.
Once you have your free domain you can do nothing with it.
Any hosting/etc you have to pay for. Even a site builder will eventually cost you.
Take it for a ride and report back.

Solitude

Executive Member
I am not talking about renewing it after a year.
Once you have your free domain you can do nothing with it.
Any hosting/etc you have to pay for. Even a site builder will eventually cost you.
Take it for a ride and report back.
You can point the free domain to somewhere else. That's free for a year. :p

Domains is a good place to host though. They've got good support and solid fast hosting. These free domains may just be the starting point for some people to start their sites.

Thor

Honorary Master

Genisys

Honorary Master
What's the problem? Everyone knows domains cost annually.

Afrihost everybody does this. Free .co.za domains all over the place they even had free .org last year
You do understand it isn't really free right? You essentially pay for the hosting, which in turn pays for the domain.

Thor

Honorary Master
You do understand it isn't really free right? You essentially pay for the hosting, which in turn pays for the domain.
Of course.

Still better than paying for the hosting AND for the domain in the first year