New YouTube Music features launched in South Africa

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
1. "Smart Downloads automatically download and store your favourite songs offline to save on overall data usages. This feature automatically saves music at night when connected to Wi-Fi, and up to 500 songs can be stored from the Liked Songs playlist."

2. "YouTube Music also launched several new playlists catered for South African listeners across various genres, including Mzansi, SA House, Afrikaans, SA Gospel, and amaPiano."

Are you f**king kidding me?! YouTube Music has miles and miles of distance to desperately catch up before it's better than even Google Play Music, and this is the crap they must add right now?

One of the few nice things about YT Music was for once not having local junk clogging up the recommendations. I give up. It's going to be a decade before YT Music is any good. I'm starting to think YT Music has a development team of one person - I don't recall one major feature being added in 6 months.

cpu.

Expert Member
I start a radio based on a song (Afrikaans) and then from that playlist start a radio with another song. All the exact same songs is on the "new" playlist in a different order.

Sleep timer is missing. Can't listen at night in bed, must still use GPM.

Bluetooth can't restart paused play. If you use other non music/video apps it forget about YT Music. GPM can restart play even the next day with my bluetooth headset.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
1. "Smart Downloads automatically download and store your favourite songs offline to save on overall data usages. This feature automatically saves music at night when connected to Wi-Fi, and up to 500 songs can be stored from the Liked Songs playlist."

2. "YouTube Music also launched several new playlists catered for South African listeners across various genres, including Mzansi, SA House, Afrikaans, SA Gospel, and amaPiano."

Are you f**king kidding me?! YouTube Music has miles and miles of distance to desperately catch up before it's better than even Google Play Music, and this is the crap they must add right now?

One of the few nice things about YT Music was for once not having local junk clogging up the recommendations. I give up. It's going to be a decade before YT Music is any good. I'm starting to think YT Music has a development team of one person - I don't recall one major feature being added in 6 months.
Well the Smart Downloads is very helpful for me since now it only downloads late at night now and not all the bloody time like previously. The New release mix (similar to Spotify Release Radar) is also awesome and much better than the standard New This Month playlist. Only thing missing for me now is casting support on the web, phone to phone, and perhaps being able to listen to my own songs but even there I'm now downloading geo blocked albums with a VPN so not really needed anymore.

Last edited:

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I start a radio based on a song (Afrikaans) and then from that playlist start a radio with another song. All the exact same songs is on the "new" playlist in a different order.

Sleep timer is missing. Can't listen at night in bed, must still use GPM.

Bluetooth can't restart paused play. If you use other non music/video apps it forget about YT Music. GPM can restart play even the next day with my bluetooth headset.
Works for me on my Huawei. Can set YTM as the default music app on Huawei something I couldn't do with Spotify.

Nuro

Expert Member
Unfortunately this is true. YouTube Music is a far cry from GPM. You can't migrate your collection and massive chunks of the GPM library is missing.

sybawoods

Expert Member
I agree. Some form of lossless / hi-res streaming would have been a differentiator that better grabbed my attention from Spotify, or Apple.

Solitude

Expert Member
Unfortunately this is true. YouTube Music is a far cry from GPM. You can't migrate your collection and massive chunks of the GPM library is missing.
I've also wondered why Youtube Music is missing some of the albums that's available at Google Play Music. One would think they would be the same.

cpu.

Expert Member
Works for me on my Huawei. Can set YTM as the default music app on Huawei something I couldn't do with Spotify.
I'm testing it now, but the problem still persist. Some apps on my P10lite can stay alive in the background and other similar ones get killed (regardless of all the correct settings).

For example: Dynamic Rotation Control (that I prefer) get killed, but Rotation Control Pro keep running no matter what.

I suspect YTM also gets killed (or ignored) if I don't have it open/playing, but not GPM.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I'm testing it now, but the problem still persist. Some apps on my P10lite can stay alive in the background and other similar ones get killed (regardless of all the correct settings).

For example: Dynamic Rotation Control (that I prefer) get killed, but Rotation Control Pro keep running no matter what.

I suspect YTM also gets killed (or ignored) if I don't have it open/playing, but not GPM.
Did you lock it into memory?