[New Zealand] Fatal shootings at Christchurch mosques. Update: 49 dead

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/111313238/shooting-at-christchurch-mosque

One person has been arrested, but police believe there may be other offenders involved in the fatal shootings of at least nine people at two mosques in Christchurch.

Sources say nine people have been confirmed dead following the shootings at the Masjid Al Noor on Deans Ave and the Linwood Masjid on Linwood Ave.

Police Commissioner Mike Bush said police were responding to "a very serious and tragic incident involving an active shooter in central Christchurch".

"One person is in custody, however police believe there may be other offenders.

"This is an evolving incident and we are working to confirm the facts, however we can confirm there have been a number of fatalities."

/snip

Ahmad Al-Mahmoud, 37, described the shooter as white-skinned, blond, quite short and wearing a helmet and a bulletproof vest. He and others broke a window in a door to escape from the mosque. Prayers started at 1.30pm and the gunman came in about 10 minutes later, when everyone was on their knees praying, he said.

/snip

Cricinfo's Bangladesh correspondent Mohammad Isam posted a video to Twitter of the team rushing through Hagley Park away from the mosque.

Bangladesh are due to play New Zealand at Hagley Oval on Saturday. New Zealand Cricket has been contacted about if the game will still go ahead

I saw the shooter was live streaming himself on Facebook.
The videos were swiftly removed for the most part, although I did see some stills taken from one of them.
Strongly suggests a White Supremacist, perhaps a member of the Iron Guard.

PoppieChoffel

When there are attacks like these in NZ you know the world has truly gone to hell in a hand basket. Very sad indeed. I see the person they arrested is a 28 year old Australian, not a Kiwi. This headline is misleading unless I missed something, as video is just of him inside car, but there's some detail of the events in the text that are pretty disturbing: Man claims responsibility for Christchurch shooting, records assault on video

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Watched the shortened 10 min clip on Reddit.

NSFL.

Video starts with him sitting in the car. He says ''Lets get this party started'' as he places some sort of helmet on his head with a Go-Pro (or some other recorder) attached to it. Before driving off he says ''Remember lads, subscribe to pewdiepie''.

While driving there he has drum marching songs playing. He's dressed in full tactical gear. 3 shotguns on the passenger seat, an assault rifle with him. Two more assault rifles in the boot of the car and two red cans. There are slogans written all over the weapons, among them ''Vienna 1683''; ''Malta 1565'' and ''Kebab Remover''. The former allude to sieges on Christian Europe by the Ottomans. Clearly a religious/politically-motivated terror attack.

There are people outside the Mosque that see him entering the premises. Probably in shock/can't comprehend what they are seeing.

Guy is cold-hearted. He is in the Mosque for a little over two minutes and I'd say there are 20+ casualties. One poor guy tries to tackle him but he sees him at the last minute and kills him.

He exits the Mosque and shoots a few people running down the sidewalk, in full view of passing traffic.

Redditors say in the extended stream he returns to the Mosque and walks around with a sidearm, individually shooting every person, whether they were dead or still alive.

RIP to the victims.

EDIT: I put it in spoilers in case folks do not want to read it. Mods can delete my comment if deemed inappropriate. I mean not to upset anyone.

Last edited:

Moosedrool

Expert Member

NSFL.

Video starts with him sitting in the car. He says ''Lets get this party started'' as he places some sort of helmet on his head with a Go-Pro (or some other recorder) attached to it. Before driving off he says ''Remember lads, subscribe to pewdiepie''.

While driving there he has drum marching songs playing. He's dressed in full tactical gear. 3 shotguns on the passenger seat, an assault rifle with him. Two more assault rifles in the boot of the car and two red cans. There are slogans written all over the weapons, among them ''Vienna 1683''; ''Malta 1565'' and ''Kebab Remover''.

There are people outside the Mosque that see him entering the premises. Probably in shock/can't comprehend what they are seeing.

Guy is cold-hearted. He is in the Mosque for a little over two minuets and I'd say there are 20+ casualties. One poor guy tries to tackle him but he sees him at the last minute and kills him.

He exits the Mosque and shoots a few people running down the sidewalk, in full few of passing traffic.

Redditors say in the extended stream he returns to the Mosque and walks around with a sidearm, individually shooting every person, whether they were dead or still alive.

RIP to the victims.
It's absolutely sickening. :sick:

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Cricketers escape NZ mosque shooting

UPDATE: The third Test between New Zealand and Bangladesh in Christchurch has been cancelled after a shooting incident in the city.

The Black Caps announced the Test had been called off this afternoon, saying a joint-decision had been reached between New Zealand Cricket and the Bangladesh Cricket Board following the attack that Bangladesh's players narrowly avoided being caught in the middle of.

The Bangladesh authorities confirmed all members of their cricket team had escaped the incident unhurt. A mosque the Bangladesh players had arrived at to visit was under attack by a gunman in the New Zealand city today.

Icemanbrfc

Honorary Master

NSFL.

While driving there he has drum marching songs playing. He's dressed in full tactical gear. 3 shotguns on the passenger seat, an assault rifle with him. Two more assault rifles in the boot of the car and two red cans. There are slogans written all over the weapons, among them ''Vienna 1683''; ''Malta 1565'' and ''Kebab Remover''.The former allude to sieges on Christian Europe by the Ottomans. Clearly a religious/politically-motivated terror attack.

Guy is cold-hearted. He is in the Mosque for a little over two minuets and I'd say there are 20+ casualties. One poor guy tries to tackle him but he sees him at the last minute and kills him.

He exits the Mosque and shoots a few people running down the sidewalk, in full few of passing traffic.

RIP to the victims.
Holy ****, that's absolutely terrible..