Newcastle Mayor Complains of 'Gupta' Slur

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Newcastle mayor Afzul Rehman has laid a complaint against a traffic official for calling him a "Gupta", it was reported on Wednesday.

Rehman was renewing his driver's licence at the Road Traffic Inspectorate (RTI) testing station on Friday when the official accosted him in the passageway, The Citizen reported.

The official asked: "Hey Gupta, what are you doing here?" and later "cracked a joke about Indians", said Rehman.

The official then called Rehman a Gupta again, and when Rehman asked him if he knew who he was, he replied: "Yes I know, you are a Gupta."

When Rehman told the official he was offended, he reportedly replied: "You can go back to India and take offence, here in South Africa, this country belongs to us."

After reporting the matter to RTI head King Gama, the official offered to make a personal apology to Rehman, but he refused to accept it and instead and opened a case of crimen injuria, The Citizen reported.

He was also speaking to attorneys about making a damages claim in the high court, and would refer the matter to the Equality Court and the SA Human Rights Commission.

Source : Sapa /aw/gq/clh
Date : 08 May 2013 07:23

CR34M3

Forgetting for a moment the obvious malicious intent of the traffic official; can this guy really win a case for being called a "Gupta"? For that to happen wouldn't a court need to affirm that is indeed a bad thing to be a Gupta? Wasn't there a similar thing with people taking offence at being called "gay"?

Hosehead

Executive Member
Gupta is already in the Lexicon.

4. Gupta

When an Indian does something idiotic or makes a stupid comment.
He was caught cheating, what a Gupta.

dumb stupid foolish awkward idiot

5. Gupta

A racial slang applying to people of Indian and Middle Eastern descent. Usually used as an insult of derogatory term.
"Hey, you know who I hate Josh? That Gupta Kid down the street"

slang racial derogatory insult indian

6. Gupta

A derrogatory word for people of Indian or Middle Eastern Race.
That Gupta who runs the Qwickie Mart.
Source: http://tinyurl.com/d8nkt3v

grok

Honorary Master
We've started calling the indians in the office Gutpas when they are being difficult .. like in 'You want that today still? What are you, a Gupta? Wait, did you clear this with Zuma?'.

Strangely nobody wanted to sue, in fact, everyone (indians included) is having a big laugh at the stupidity of the ANC.

Hosehead

Executive Member
Will Gupta become the new "Indian" population name as in... Eg on official applications... State your race 1. Black. 2. Malay/ Mixed 3. White. 4. Gupta

sal12344

Yes, if he can prove intent, which he can with what followed:

"You can go back to India and take offence, here in South Africa, this country belongs to us."

I have heard similar statements many times, a friend at Sanlam had something similar plastered on his car on his first day of work.
In fact if I think about it I had crap like this spoken to me by traffic officials and once the customs guy in Cape Town. I don' let this kind of thing slide.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
It's only right and clearly this official has an issue with persons of the Indian race.

Hope he loses his job.