Newegg South Africa

lived666

Executive Member
Hmmm, I wonder if newegg are making a quiet entry through the back door into the South African market? If yes, It is quite a major back door :)
If this is the case a couple of computer dealers may find things a bit rough in the near future.

Was browsing for a certain laptop and look what popped up in the search:

https://www.makro.co.za/computing-a...256-gb-ssd-3434B43253EF404584ADFFC943510D0FEA
newegg.png
I don't think Makro/ Walmart would let a clone piggyback on their name?

Anyhow apologies if this has been brought up, the search on the new forum doesn't render any results.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I highly doubt that it is Newegg International, they are better geared to ship to SA than to sell on the Makro marketplace. Newegg doesn’t ship to SA, yet, but they actually include us under their shipping terms without listing us as being available.

I honestly don’t see Newegg wanted to be mandated by Makro’s shipping (or logistics) partners. Makro collects the seller’s items at the third-party warehouse (or dispatch), then they add commission to the seller's listed price and additionally deduct any shipping and associated costs.

You have to abide by Makro’s Marketplace Program, they do all the warehousing, product picking, packing and shipping, and decide on any additional charges which aren’t necessarily transparent in the logistics process which is usually costs associated with risk. You are only responsible to pick and pack as per the order requested by Makro to be collected by their shipping partners, then they process it at there 'own' warehouse.

Ignoring the above, I doubt that Newegg will abide by the SA CPA because Makro will be ultimately responsible to determine and settle these claims at Newegg’s expense.

Some other third-party seller probably registered themselves as Newegg.

Not to mention, that when I scanned through some products and compared it to distributor pricelists, it would make way more sense to source locally.

Besides, the naming convention is odd, the products listed by Makro doesn’t agree with Newegg. Newegg would export their own stock sheet to input elsewhere.

The Door

Honorary Master
Hmmm, I wonder if newegg are making a quiet entry through the back door into the South African market? If yes, It is quite a major back door
If this is the case a couple of computer dealers may find things a bit rough in the near future.

Was browsing for a certain laptop and look what popped up in the search:

https://www.makro.co.za/computing-a...256-gb-ssd-3434B43253EF404584ADFFC943510D0FEA
View attachment 565877
I don't think Makro/ Walmart would let a clone piggyback on their name?

Anyhow apologies if this has been brought up, the search on the new forum doesn't render any results.

Back door? No my man, Makro = Walmart. That’s as American as they come... and if they’re reselling from a dealer rather than a distributor there’s no way they’ll compete.

Do Walmart resell Newegg products? Possibly, are they competitive? Unlikely.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Personally I don't see the need for a marketplace on every online site.
I will ask newegg, I buy from them on occasion.

Makro terms though, up to 30 days before they transfer payment to sellers, plus their commission.

Totempole

Expert Member
Newegg on Makro's site is actually just Firstshop renamed, happened some time back.

Not sure the reason for the rename, but I thought it was pretty dodgy.

lived666

Executive Member
Could send a mail to Newegg and ask lol

I did, they sent a generic response saying we don't ship to South Africa, I said thats not what I asked why dont you read the actual email...and no response, so if firstshop want to leech off their name well then so be it.
Why firstshop though just don't promote their own name and brand:unsure:

Rubberpigg

Expert Member
Newegg is owned by a Chinese company called "Hangzhou Liaison Interactive Information Technology Co., Ltd."
I had no luck finding contact details for them, though.