News24 - Iran has hanged a man convicted of raping three boys when he was 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie

Executive Member
What a despotic place !!

http://www.news24.com/News24/World/News/0,,2-10-1462_2233977,00.html
Tehran - Iran has hanged a man convicted of raping three boys when he was 13 despite retractions from his accusers and an order for a judicial review of his case, a Western rights group and an Iranian daily said on Thursday.

Makwan Mouloudzadeh, 20, was put to death on Wednesday in a prison in the western province of Kermanshah, daily Etemad-e Melli said.

Clarisa Bencomo, a Middle East children's rights researcher of US-based Human Rights Watch, said it had information the family was later told to come and pick up the body.

"We did confirm that the execution took place," she said by phone from Cairo. "We spoke to people who have seen the body."

"We're appalled. Iran is the leading executor of children and juvenile defenders," she said, referring to people under 18 at the time of the crime.

Iranian judiciary officials were not available for comment. Other Iranian media did not carry reports of the execution.

Iran says it is prosecuting criminals under its Islamic sharia law and rejects criticism of its human rights record.

Human Rights Watch had called on the Islamic Republic to prevent Mouloudzadeh's execution, saying he was sentenced to death in May by a Kermanshah court even though it said all of his accusers had retracted their statements.

Etemad-e Melli, a reformist newspaper, said in November judiciary chief Ayatollah Mahmoud Hashemi-Shahroudi had ordered the execution be suspended because it was in this case against sharia law, without elaborating.

'Iran flouts obligations'

Bencomo said the required review did not take place.

Etemad-e Melli on Thursday quoted Mouloudzadeh's lawyer Saeed Eghbali as saying that, contrary to Hashemi-Shahroudi's preliminary opinion, "the case was rapidly sent back to Kermanshah and the sentence carried out".

The daily said he was arrested last year near his family home and paraded around the town of Paveh on a donkey.

Human Rights Watch this week said Iran was known to have executed two other juvenile offenders earlier this year.

"In imposing death sentences on people for crimes committed before the age of 18, Iran flouts clear and specific human rights obligations," it said.

Fellow rights group Amnesty International said in September it had recorded a total of 210 executions so far in Iran this year, compared with 177 for all of 2006, giving Iran one of the highest rates of execution in the world.

Murder, rape, adultery, armed robbery, apostasy and drug smuggling are all punishable by death under Iran's sharia law, imposed after the 1979 Islamic revolution.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
at least they put away their criminals, which is more than i can say for this country.

JK8

Banned
What a despotic place !!
Murder, rape, adultery, armed robbery, apostasy and drug smuggling are all punishable by death under Iran's sharia law, imposed after the 1979 Islamic revolution.

You not used to this I see.

mercurial

MyBB Legend

he probably just moved to South Africa from Sweden.

JayM

Expert Member

Lemme guess...you wish for SA to have the death penalty for the same 'offences'?

Cara

Expert Member
Iran has hanged a man convicted of raping three boys when he was 13 despite retractions from his accusers and an order for a judicial review of his case, a Western rights group and an Iranian daily said on Thursday.
This is the bit I find strange. Anyone know why they retracted? This story feels incomplete, there must be more to it.

Xarog

Honorary Master
Well, similar stuff happens in the US, at least. Iran is hardly special here.

Amerikanse

Well, similar stuff happens in the US, at least. Iran is hardly special here.
COUGH what in BLAZES are you talking about? There are some people who WANT to kill rapists in the US, but none who DO.

Iran has hanged a man convicted of raping three boys when he was 13
On that note...sounds like justice. HOWEVER I would be interested to know why the victims retracted. Could be justice was NOT done, eg false charges.

Xarog

Honorary Master
COUGH what in BLAZES are you talking about? There are some people who WANT to kill rapists in the US, but none who DO.
I was actually referring to people on death row getting executed despite overwhelming evidence that their trial was either injust, or that the person convicted for the crime is innocent.

The US is also the only western country to execute minors.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I guess this is a prime example of 'what goes around, comes around'

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I was actually referring to people on death row getting executed despite overwhelming evidence that their trial was either injust, or that the person convicted for the crime is innocent.

The US is also the only western country to execute minors.
Best I can tell that Leonard Shockley was the last minor to be executed . . . in 1959.

trek_mambo

Nice. Now we are going to criticize every damn thing that happens in Iran till the US can comfortably invade. Sad.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'm having trouble finding sources about people executed while they were still under the age of 18, however, there are many cases of people receiving the death penalty for crimes they comitted before they reached the age of majority.

For example :
http://www.abanet.org/crimjust/juvjus/patterson.html
In the 2005 Supreme Court decision Roper v. Simmons the court ruled that it was unconstitutional to impose the death penalty for crimes committed under the age of 18.

McSack

Executive Member
lol @ xarog and trek. they just cannot help themselves...

mention anything unpleasant or controversial that happens in any country and the two of them immediately have to bring up that it's worse in the big bad US

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory

mention anything unpleasant or controversial that happens in any country and the two of them immediately have to bring up that it's worse in the big bad US
Yes it is rather sad :eek: . But then again what can you do about people who have an anti-American bias? Maybe they should all be shipped off to Iran to experience all the glorious liberties they have there.

Alan

Honorary Master
Yes it is rather sad :eek: . But then again what can you do about people who have an anti-American bias? Maybe they should all be shipped off to Iran to experience all the glorious liberties they have there.
Well Xarog did say he'd rather live in Iran :eek:. Hope he isn't gay cause they don't have any there supposidly :D

Xarog

Honorary Master

Only because the first poster has a history of pro-us/anti-muslim posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.