News24 unveils digital subscription service at R75 per month

Are you going to subscribe to News24’s new subscription service?

• Yes

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • No

Votes: 215 98.2%

• Total voters

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
additional investigative and in-depth journalism
informed opinions, analysis
So, this sounds nice on paper, but News24 isn't exactly known for this at the moment.
It would be like the SA government saying that if we paid them more tax, they would give us zero corruption and excellence services.

buka001

Executive Member
Lol no.

Like what the actual.

Can't see that lasting very long.

Don't they just aggregate news stories anyway? There was the case against them from Moneyweb a while back.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
So, only the people that can afford R 75 per month will be 'allowed' news, pretty much killing the voices of 90% of our population

Nice ...
Huh? What are you on about? They will be charging for EXTRA stuff, the normal website will still be the same.

Bismuth

Expert Member
R99... R75... I wonder how long it will stay at R75 before they have to increase to make up for the lack of subscriber numbers.

Of all the paywall news sites around, News24 is the last one I will, well, pay for. I am not willing to pay $1 for NYT (before they went totally off the rails), so considerably more for a local rag is not an option.

koeks525

Expert Member
Back in the day, the comment section on News24 was a toxic wasteland. R75 isn't such a bad deal. I wonder if the News24 platform can customize the news articles you see on the homepage, based on the previous articles you had read on the website? If not, hopefully their tech department can make it happen! Bad news, and fake news sells unfortunately.

The Trutherizer

Expert Member
Well I won't unless there are assurances that there will be zero adds. That's for sure.
News24 arguably has the worst advertising strategy on videos hosted on it's site I know of. No matter how low you set your volume. All other audio emanating from your computer might be a perfectly reasonable volume. The moment that add starts playing they somehow manage to play it as twice human tolerable audio volume. Furthermore once a video has stopped playing they immediately skip to another video (the same add at the start included) - If you then want to go back to the previous video to rewatch it... dum-dum-dum! You have to watch and listen to the same add again.
It's borderline traumatising.