News24's paywalls are working

Johand

Expert Member
I subscribe to News24! It is a good deal - especially because you get access to finweek e-edition as well.

And frankly I do like a news source that is not beholden to advertisers - especially government. I must say, News24's quality was terrible a couple of years ago, but they have been steadily improving. They will actually fix technical problems with articles if you report it. And Karyn Maughan unpacks the intricacies of the law and legal process a lot better than some random journalist.

Facebook/Google News actually scares me at the moment -- I am not sure whether to trust them anymore, I feel like it is too easy to manipulate - especially because they are chasing ad revenue.

Tim_vb

I subscribe to News24! It is a good deal - especially because you get access to finweek e-edition as well.

And frankly I do like a news source that is not beholden to advertisers - especially government. I must say, News24's quality was terrible a couple of years ago, but they have been steadily improving. They will actually fix technical problems with articles if you report it. And Karyn Maughan unpacks the intricacies of the law and legal process a lot better than some random journalist.

Facebook/Google News actually scares me at the moment -- I am not sure whether to trust them anymore, I feel like it is too easy to manipulate - especially because they are chasing ad revenue.
No news org is perfect but FB is pretty much the opposite of news and analysis - How Facebook and Google fund global misinformation

PaulMurkin

Expert Member

HUILgenoot reader folks...
Bet he reads the Vra Dr. Adri section a lot

Pegasus

Executive Member
The paywalled the comments on MoneyWeb recently, the comment section is dead quiet, I love to comment, but no I will pay to do that.
I have seen your comments and wanted to correct you, but that site is really buggy.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I know that they are hard targeting their print subscribers. They are busy converting print subscribers to digital subscribers.

Beeld, Rapport... are well worth it IMHO. Waldimar Pelser is probably the only person I still like in local media.

Shadowchaser1

Look at Mr Moneybags over here.. I bet you donate R2 to feed the children at KFC too. #checkyourprivilege

/s - because mybb is very sensitive recently.
I know it's off the article/topic. You donate R2 to feed kids @ KFC? I don't remember if it was like that in 2002. I see there are 960 KFC outlets in SA. Jeez by us only max 8-9. Not very popular. Norway and Finland 0 KFC.

konfab

Honorary Master
I was going to ask but I see you guys covered it:

Not surprised by Netwerk24 since its subscription has been running for longer (I think) but also: Afrikaans people will pay for Afrikaans.

What I don't get is why anybody would pay for News24.
I think it is more about the people running the place than anything else.

Waldimar Pelser actually understands the ANC and the political games they play, hence his paper doesn't simp for Ramaphosa. Unlike Adriaan Basson who is so far up Ramaphosa's backside that he can taste the remnants of one of Tito's hell-dinners.

konfab

Honorary Master

Quality journalist that one is:

And she actually does know buggerall about the law.
Screenshot 2021-11-22 212128.png

Firstly self-defence isn't an entitlement, it is a right. There is a different legal standard between the two.

Secondly, you don't have a right to self defence when you:
1) Chase someone down and try to grab their gun.
2) Hit someone over the head with a skateboard
3) Pull your gun out and aim it at someone.

She probably believes in the communist version of self defence where you are only allowed to kill someone if they are literally stabbing you.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Just to add. I don't view Mybroadband and associated media in the same light as our mainstream media. I am happy to be subscribed to Mybroadband, and the content is generally good.

Overall, Fin and Tech media in SA is not too bad. Everything else is going to the dogs, the exception being Rapport and Beeld in my opinion. I do like the Daily Maverick, and on the occasion the Sunday Times, but sometimes they do pander.