Next big wave of skilled workers, emigrants leaving SA - political analyst

Gallderhen

I think Ponder was saying they don't to "how do they get the number of people emigrating".

Not they don't to "people just get on a plan and leave".

I'm one of the bunch that just got up and left.
Did you have/get a duel passport or work-visa sponsorship ?

-G-

noxibox

Honorary Master
The only ones of my friends that aren't leaving are the ones that have alternative passports. They'll stay, but technically could leave tomorrow. Seems expats sleep better than locals at the moment..
I suppose it might be cheaper for them to leave later, given that they probably don't have to pay for visas, they don't need to have a job to get in elsewhere and could probably even rely on welfare while finding a job. Otherwise they can still be invested and stand to lose more by leaving later. Some really don't want to go back to their country of origin either though. They left for good reason.

Norrad

Expert Member
I think Ponder was saying they don't to "how do they get the number of people emigrating".

Not they don't to "people just get on a plan and leave".

I'm one of the bunch that just got up and left.
I know. I misread it while out last night :whistling:

hj007

I suppose it might be cheaper for them to leave later, given that they probably don't have to pay for visas, they don't need to have a job to get in elsewhere and could probably even rely on welfare while finding a job. Otherwise they can still be invested and stand to lose more by leaving later. Some really don't want to go back to their country of origin either though. They left for good reason.
Like most of us they have family here so they dont want to leave. The social aspect is the main reason for almost all of the dual/foreign holders I know. Many have been a long time/married to a local.

That plus the existing infrastructure of things they own locally means that should things go badly theyll lose out here, but unless things become terrible theyll just stick it out. You also cant just go back home and get a good job just because you were born there. So rather than leave a good job here and face unemployment you rather just stay. Better the devil you know applies i guess.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
They look at how many tax clearances SARS does every year.
That might give some idea of the numbers, but many take their funds out at R1M per family member over a few years which does not require tax clearance.

TysonRoux

Executive Member
Expatriate - a person who lives outside their native country.

Does not imply that that person is returning.
An immigrant is not an expat.

The subject line "emigrants leaving SA" would mean they're not expatriates.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
That might give some idea of the numbers, but many take their funds out at R1M per family member over a few years which does not require tax clearance.
You need to do a tax clearance unless you want SARS to keep on at you. If you fail to let SARS know that you are not a taxpayer in SA you will be taxed on earnings overseas. It doesn't matter if you never plan to return.

noxibox

Honorary Master
An immigrant is not an expat.
Really? How do you become an immigrant without living outside the country of origin?

Maybe not to you.
I go only on the dictionary meaning and the common usage of the term in reference to every person I've ever known who was an expatriate. But then I'm English and that is how the English use the word.

Immigrants are expatriates.

As both state an expatriate is someone living outside their native country. That some people decide to read that as someone who eventually intends to return to their native country doesn't change the actual meaning of the word which contains nothing about eventually returning home. Your links confirm the dictionary meaning of the word. No implication of temporary residence. It has never implied such.

Like most of us they have family here so they dont want to leave. The social aspect is the main reason for almost all of the dual/foreign holders I know. Many have been a long time/married to a local.

That plus the existing infrastructure of things they own locally means that should things go badly theyll lose out here, but unless things become terrible theyll just stick it out. You also cant just go back home and get a good job just because you were born there. So rather than leave a good job here and face unemployment you rather just stay. Better the devil you know applies i guess.
Yes, but none of that makes them any different to people born in South Africa. Other than perhaps their perspective of having lived in another country.

If they're skilled people they should be able to get a job. South Africans are moving to those same countries and getting jobs.