Next big wave of skilled workers, emigrants leaving SA - political analyst

TysonRoux

Expert Member
Really? How do you become an immigrant without living outside the country of origin?
https://grammarist.com/usage/expatriate-vs-immigrant/
Expatriate vs immigrant

Expatriate refers to someone living outside his native country. Expatriate may be used as an adjective, noun or verb. Derived forms are expatriates, expatriated, expatriating, expatriation, the noun form of expatriate is sometimes abbreviated as expat. Originally, an expatriate was someone exiled from his home country, derived from the mid-1700s French word expatrier, meaning banish. The term expatriate carries the connotation that the person in question will one day return to his country of origin, or at least wishes to one day return to his country of origin.

An immigrant is a person who leaves his home and travels to another country in order to become a permanent member of the population. An immigrant is making a permanent change to his residency, with no plan to return to his country of origin or wish to return to his country of origin. The word immigrant comes from the Latin word immigrantem meaning to remove, to move in. Related words are immigrates, immigrated, immigrating, immigration.

Thread subject line "emigrants leaving SA" - wonder why they didn't use the term "expats".

TysonRoux

Expert Member
You need to do a tax clearance unless you want SARS to keep on at you. If you fail to let SARS know that you are not a taxpayer in SA you will be taxed on earnings overseas. It doesn't matter if you never plan to return.
That depends on their SA tax "residence" status.

Many that I know have worked abroad as expats for a few years before emigrating, and while working abroad as expats they remained out of country long enough to be classified as "non-resident" and paid no SA income tax.

They liquidated everything and moved their money abroad using the R1M per person per year, without tax clearance.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Come on , we live in one of the freeíst democracies in the world , untainted by any sort of government policy , what could be the problem ?

1) The quality of our democracy doesn't mean a damn thing if the economy is crumbling and crime is out of control.

2) The ANC absolutely undermines democracy in SA. They spend a fortune beyond what could be regarded as acceptable when campaigning elections. They feed the population bulls**t propaganda and stir up a bloodlust against "white monopolists". The level of ineptitude and corruption means social services have to suffer, and it's clear who the ANC sees as the easiest scapegoat.

Unfortunately for them, the scapegoat has legs.

cguy

Expert Member
You need to do a tax clearance unless you want SARS to keep on at you. If you fail to let SARS know that you are not a taxpayer in SA you will be taxed on earnings overseas. It doesn't matter if you never plan to return.
That’s not true. SARS gives guidelines for tax residency, and having tax clearance isn’t one of them.

I would guess that the vast majority of people who leave permanently don’t get a clearance certificate, or financially emigrate.

Milano

Honorary Master
Government has no accurate numbers. We only know that the true numbers are multiples higher than the official numbers. The most accurate number to date estimates around 2.7 million South Africans are today living outside SA.

cguy

Expert Member
That might give some idea of the numbers, but many take their funds out at R1M per family member over a few years which does not require tax clearance.
Or they just leave it there. It’s often worth so little in comparison to other countries, it’s not worth the trouble. I think I left R3m behind. Most of which is a house that I would stay at when I came to visit, but now family stay there permanently.

Some of it I left in fixed deposit - turned out to be pretty damn dumb. :p Back then it was just about enough to buy a small flat, now it can barely buy a 2nd hand Golf.

hj007

Really? How do you become an immigrant without living outside the country of origin?

I go only on the dictionary meaning and the common usage of the term in reference to every person I've ever known who was an expatriate. But then I'm English and that is how the English use the word.

Immigrants are expatriates.

As both state an expatriate is someone living outside their native country. That some people decide to read that as someone who eventually intends to return to their native country doesn't change the actual meaning of the word which contains nothing about eventually returning home. Your links confirm the dictionary meaning of the word. No implication of temporary residence. It has never implied such.

Yes, but none of that makes them any different to people born in South Africa. Other than perhaps their perspective of having lived in another country.

If they're skilled people they should be able to get a job. South Africans are moving to those same countries and getting jobs.
Dont doubt theyd get work. Its the family /friends that they dont want to lose. Im reminded of a saying, rather be in hell with my mates than in paradise alone..

Grant

Honorary Master
I can see how this would help , if i had the finances i too would help .
I dont hate democracy enough to flee to another democracy.
He believes the current generation of younger emigrants with in-demand skills wants to be part of the globally mobile workforce trend.
be that as it may, their departure open doors for recently qualified graduates

Tander

Executive Member
Very few, I believe, they can't get work permits.
True, the work permit is very hard to get, My wife has a spousal visa, which was a lot easier to get and allows her to work here. She is one of the few that can literally leave today, if the need was there. But for now, she's happier here than she was in Europe.

ɹǝuuᴉM

Expert Member
You're funny.

You do know that all the colours of the rainbow nation are leaving. While some might leave for other ideas MOST are leaving for job security and personal safety and better money.
While a large part of the emigration wave of 93-95ish was partially race based times have changed and is not the leading reason for leaving currently.
Source?

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
Government has no accurate numbers. We only know that the true numbers are multiples higher than the official numbers. The most accurate number to date estimates around 2.7 million South Africans are today living outside SA.
However a lot of (first world) countries do keep count of the nationalities of people for the different types of visas they issue, as part of their new drive to follow Big Data and Open data access trends. So it's possible to accurately gauge at least a minimum number.

Dave

Honorary Master
Do you honestly believe I only know people from 1 race?

Further to that go join the queue at visa agencies and see the rainbow of colours applying for visas...
The article linked in the other emigration thread makes that point as well.

This problem cuts across racial lines, as the number of black professionals leaving South Africa now exceeds white emigrants.
https://mybroadband.co.za/news/business/315931-here-is-why-i-left-south-africa.html

thechamp

Honorary Master
Do you honestly believe I only know people from 1 race?

Further to that go join the queue at visa agencies and see the rainbow of colours applying for visas...
Remember who you dealing with here, the Foreigner is not well versed on the South African social dynamics and race relations.