NHI ‘triple tax’ and the end of medical aids – what you need to know

Quit all the stalling and fear mongering, please.

Sign it into law and start the aggressive rollout of the NHI.

This is how you destroy the middle class so that everyone is equally poor with no access to services. The wealthy upper class who have been hanging around will now surely just leave SA as they will be bled dry if they don't. The middle class will be stuck with an ever increasing tax burden with nowhere to go until there is no middle class.

The problem is, if its not able to be fought and won in court, you won't have the option to just ignore it. Maybe the private hospitals remain open, but without medical aid you will be forced to pay for everything out of your own pocket, and thats after enduring what will be at least a R2k deducation from your salary.

Basically you will be paying about R2k each month so that if you are sick you can go to Steve Biko hospital.

The DA and all the medical aids are going to need to get injunction after injunction to stop the implementation of the NHI until its fate can be resolved in court. No doubt teams of legal professionals are ramping up their preparations to fight this.
People always joke about a tax revolt but I think it starts here. People did it with eTolls, it will happen again.
The mood is right for this kind of thing. Most people (who have medical aid) rely on the fact that they get a massive rebate on the medical aid costs. Not only will we lose that but we will have to pay in.
So it won't be R2k for me... it will be R4k

Granted - I pay R10k for medical aid a month. So if I only paid R4k then it would be fine. If I could still use private hospitals then it would be fine.
I'm being pragmatic here, if it has to happen then there would be a clever way to do it.... to ensure success.

People always joke about a tax revolt but I think it starts here. People did it with eTolls, it will happen again.
The mood is right for this kind of thing. Most people (who have medical aid) rely on the fact that they get a massive rebate on the medical aid costs. Not only will we lose that but we will have to pay in.
So it won't be R2k for me... it will be R4k

Granted - I pay R10k for medical aid a month. So if I only paid R4k then it would be fine. If I could still use private hospitals then it would be fine.
I'm being pragmatic here, if it has to happen then there would be a clever way to do it.... to ensure success.
You think the gov is going to pay the private hospitals the rates they charge? You will be forking out R4k pm to go to Steve Biko.

If you haven't been to a government hospital then you do not understand how **** it is. Majority of nurses doing nothing but playing on their phones. Bugger all resources. Its a completely **** experience.

You think the gov is going to pay the private hospitals the rates they charge? You will be forking out R4k pm to go to Steve Biko.

If you haven't been to a government hospital then you do not understand how **** it is. Majority of nurses doing nothing but playing on their phones. Bugger all resources. Its a completely **** experience.
If they hike the taxes with 30% like some people are suggesting, you'll pay a lot more than just R4k a month.

Correct, they won't. The current GEMS medical aid is one of the worst at paying on time and in full.
Don't expect much better from NHI.

What i suspect though is that with no one being able to have medical aid- the private hospitals will be forced to negotiate NHI rates. This will be its own fight.
I have and no it's not always the case. From the people I know who work in government hospitals - under funding is the biggest issue.

Mavis and Sipho will rock up at a private hospital with their ANC card and demund free treatment.
Mavis and Sipho will die outside Mediclinic's emergency entrance, still clutching their ANC card in their grubby paws.

Did anyone see him sign it? I don't think he will today. If there is footage of it I still won't believe it coz ChapGT and AI is getting very clever these days

He signed the bill a few moments ago. Next up will be organizations challenging the bill in court. I wonder what the ConCourt will say about the bill - I am assuming it will get to the ConCourt.

It is fine. They can implement NHI (hopefully a sensible version), but leave medical aid alone. Allow those who want to pay for that, to do so (as a top up / expedited care / private care route)

Back