Nielsen Online/OPA survey

adsl3g

Expert Member
Nielsen//NetRating research popup

When will this thing stop popping up randomly on this site - I completed it looong ago.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
We have to run Nielsen//NetRating as being part of the OPA, and can unfortunately not do much about the survey. It should only happen every few months - maybe you were a bit unlucky...

adsl3g

Expert Member
We have to run Nielsen//NetRating as being part of the OPA, and can unfortunately not do much about the survey. It should only happen every few months - maybe you were a bit unlucky...
Must be its popped up about 6 times today on various forums here.

Pooky

Garfield's Teddy
Is this that secure-za.imrworldwide thing???!?

davemc

Executive Member
Secure-za.imrworldwide.com slowing down the site

My MyBB pages are taking a long time to load completely.

The browser seems to hang for a long time while getting data from Secure-za.imrworldwide.com.

It's irritating because I'd start reading a thread and move on down and down and down, and then suddenly my browser would jump back to the point where I entered the thread, some 30 or so seconds later.

I am adding that address to my ignore list (hosts file) to get rid of the delay.

Anybody know why this website is using whatever is provided by secure-za.imrworldwide.com?

I am also concerned that perhaps this secure-za.imrworldwide.com is something spam-evil, though I cannot see how.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
By MyBB do you mean MyBroadband or a different forum that uses MyBB Forum Software?

BTW - iirc imrworldwide.com is generally used for Nielsen ratings. Its locally hosted so it shouldnt really be slowing things down.

Last edited:

davemc

Executive Member
MyBB = MyBroadband.co.za / MyADSL.co.za.
i.e. This website.

Well, it's slowing things down by some 30 seconds.
Thanks for the info though bwana.

I'm just going to see if it's ip address is in my local-only routing table quick.

davemc

Executive Member
secure-za.imrworldwide.com = 196.36.153.225

This is in my local-only range of ip addresses, so, yes it is being routed over the local-only connection.

Meh, the delay is gone, pages are loading to complete super-fast now that secure-za.imrworldwide.com is being ignored.

Much better.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator

This is in my local-only range of ip addresses, so, yes it is being routed over the local-only connection.

Meh, the delay is gone, pages are loading to complete super-fast now that secure-za.imrworldwide.com is being ignored.

Much better.
I'm of the personal opinion that if something delays or hampers your browsing experience block it. Ads and whatever are fine only as long as they load quickly and let me get on with viewing the actual content.

I've had google analytics blocked on various machines via the host file for years now. Not even sure what site prompted that action but tough luck.

Pitbull

Verboten

Much better.
Damn it.

I did the same now and it's like doing low flying in here :) Thanx for the tip.

rpm

Admin
Staff member
The secure-za.imrworldwide.com is indeed the Nielsen tracking code which is needed for audited stats from the OPA. While one part of the code is local, I suspect some other parts may be internationally hosted.

Ons option which may solve this problem is if I host the files on our servers...will see if it is possible.

guest2013-1

From the code it would appear that it might be going through the https protocol which means it never caches (and hence gives the loading bit there always)

_And_ something it *might* be doing which I don't like is it's running a bunch of JavaScript that appears to be attempting to create different ActiveX Objects (based on the browser) which seems to check which programs you might have installed (like Flash/QuickTime and Acrobat) which would also explain why things appears to be slow.

I have no idea why myBB wants Analytics & Nielsen (or whoever they may be) on here.

What insights do this imrworldwide thingy give us anyway?

guest2013-1

How to speed up mybroadband.co.za loading times significantly

Open up your Explorer in Windows
Go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc and locate the file called "hosts" (no extension)
Double click the file and open with Notepad
You will find a line like this:

Code:
127.0.0.1         localhost
In there (or something similar)

press enter to create a new line after that one and type in:

Code:
127.0.0.1*tab button*secure-za.imrworldwide.com
NB you have to press the Tab button after the 127.0.0.1

Click on File then Save and enjoy a faster loading mybroadband.co.za ;)

At this point if it starts moaning about not being able to save or giving you a prompt to "Save As" where you have to type in a different file name, it means your file is write protected.

All you need to do to correct this is right click on the file Hosts, click on Properties and untick the "read only" checkbox if it's ticked. Click OK and try and save the file again.

guest2013-1

Sounds fishy... but what do I know?
secure-za.imrworldwide.com is something like Google Analytics. It tracks the amount of visitors to mybroadband.co.za, however, it's very slow to load and does a lot of things Google Analytics don't.

What you're basically doing is telling your PC not to allow secure-za.imrworldwide.com to load by saying that the files are local on your PC and not on the internet (you're fooling your PC into thinking that it doesn't need to go to the internet web address)

If you know what a DNS server does, it's basically overriding the DNS server's records and the browser doesn't try and load that extra bit of code. Speeding the website up significantly (you will actually notice a big difference)

And yes, TK loads at awesome speeds now!