Nightmare with a South African bank

Priapus

Executive Member
Maybe it's a good thing that I lost my money

I will just leave it to karma

Well, in future when this sort of thing happens again; you'll be 100% prepared for it.

It's unfortunate, but it happens.

mrmrrza

Similar experience in Dublin last year but it was only a couple of euros - wrote it off in the end because the effort involved in fighting it was going to consume far too much energy and time. I was also shown rates screen and then clicked 'return card' and not no. Card was ejected but no cash and I walked away but got a push notification from the bank - immediately logged it with them figuring I would get a reversal when they figured out no cash was dispensed. I realised afterwards someone might have tampered with the notes slot.

If you do go ahead and "win" this fight please share with everyone else - never mind theuseless opinions and do what you must.

Last edited:

Jimmy11

Similar experience in Dublin last year but it was only a couple of euros - wrote it off in the end because the effort involved in fighting it was going to consume far too much energy and time. I was also shown rates screen and then clicked 'return card' and not no. Card was ejected but no cash and I walked away but got a push notification from FNB - immediately logged it with them figuring I would get a reversal when they figured out no cash was dispensed. I realised afterwards someone might have tampered with the notes slot.

If you do go ahead and "win" this fight please share with everyone else - never mind theuseless opinions and do what you must.
Most likely my bank would reimburse me this money as a gesture of goodwill but I don't want to be reimbursed by them, I want to be reimbursed by absa because it was their fault.

But why should my bank suffer a loss when they haven't done anything wrong and absa gets away with everything. It's a matter of principles.

Most people believe it's my carelessness but I was the one who was there and know exactly what happened and 100% sure I wasn't negligent for one second

Swa

Honorary Master
Can an ABSA atm dispense more than R2000 at a time? I remember when I hat to draw R4000 I had to draw R2000 twice, the atm refused to proceed with my initial request for R4000. I had to select a smaller amount.
The last time I withdrew about 7 years ago they could dispense R5000 in a transaction. Might have upped it by now.

Swa

Honorary Master
Most likely my bank would reimburse me this money as a gesture of goodwill but I don't want to be reimbursed by them, I want to be reimbursed by absa because it was their fault.

But why should my bank suffer a loss when they haven't done anything wrong and absa gets away with everything. It's a matter of principles.

Most people believe it's my carelessness but I was the one who was there and know exactly what happened and 100% sure I wasn't negligent for one second
Here's the thing. If your bank reimburses you or you have some travel insurance that would cover it (may come with the card) then I'd just leave it and walk away rather than wasting my time on principles.

Jimmy11

Here's the thing. If your bank reimburses you or you have some travel insurance that would cover it (may come with the card) then I'd just leave it and walk away rather than wasting my time on principles.
Maybe they would or maybe they won't. My credit card is covered by insurance but debit card isn't which I used that time.

Most people would advice that if your bank reimbursed you then probably leave it. No point in coming back thousands of miles for more agony and maybe that is the right thing to do but then again it depends if my bank does reimburse me.

epah

Expert Member
The last time I withdrew about 7 years ago they could dispense R5000 in a transaction. Might have upped it by now.

Nope, actually cash limits get smaller each year due to crime and most people moving away from cash overall.

Swa

Honorary Master
Nope, actually cash limits get smaller each year due to crime and most people moving away from cash overall.
I'd think inflation takes care of that. :shrugs:

Jimmy11

Here's the snapshot of absa's response

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210208-205459.png
    Screenshot_20210208-205459.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 46

epah

Expert Member
Absa won’t give you any money back, best to move on.

Jimmy11

Just a update guys

My bank has got my money back from absa

Here's proof for the people who said that I didn't cancel the transaction

On the attached snapshot you can see that the first transaction was unsuccessful and that was the one I had canceled and after that I had left.

Then there is the disputed transaction which I never did. Another giveaway was that if I had done the second transaction the amount would have been R 8060 like the first transaction since I have a international bank card so the acquiring bank will charge a access fee to use the atm so the disputed amount can't be R 8000

Attachments

• DSC_0028.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 54

ld13

Honorary Master
Failed R8060 transaction on an Indian Yes Bank Mastercard debit card, followed by a successful R8000 transaction a minute later on the same card.

Then a successful R3000 transaction 12 minutes later on an Absa Visa debit card.

You were next to the machine for 5 minutes, so the cctv footage you saw of a person walking away with cash, was for this R3000 transaction?

So the ATM would've been R8000 'over', would it not?

airborne

Honorary Master
Just a update guys

My bank has got my money back from absa

Here's proof for the people who said that I didn't cancel the transaction

On the attached snapshot you can see that the first transaction was unsuccessful and that was the one I had canceled and after that I had left.

Then there is the disputed transaction which I never did. Another giveaway was that if I had done the second transaction the amount would have been R 8060 like the first transaction since I have a international bank card so the acquiring bank will charge a access fee to use the atm so the disputed amount can't be R 8000
Congratulations, a solid pie to the face of all the trolls on this theead..

How did you manage to convince your bank to do the impossible?