Nintendo 3DS launches in South Africa

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Please can we ban people who say First!

Also, thats kinda steep. I'll wait for the 3DS 2 with better battery life.

TallShaw

Third!

:p

Jokes aside though, the pricing is a bit steep for a handheld.

Last edited:

ravage

I expected it to be more to be honest... At least R3000. I think this is good news, although the games could be very expensive :(

Yuu

Executive Member
Well considering one does not have to purchase a TV + glasses to see a 3D effect, this is actually CHEAP, and you won't get this experience anywhere else. Nothing could have stopped them from making it more but guess what, for under 3k you will have the latest tech in the palm of your hands or so it will look like it :D.

Well done CORE, i see this selling pretty fast. Hell i think i will pre-order it, can anyone provide some links, will appreciate it :)

fwwwn

Is it just me, or is the industrial design sort of a regression from the previous DS consoles? I.e. this is more DS Phat than DSi/Lite in my opinion. As I did with the previous DS, I'll wait two years for the refresh (3DS Lite), and by that time the game library will be solid as well.

That, and this is way too expensive right now. :/

Yuu

Executive Member
Thanks for that Incredible link, but they don't state what the Retail end price is going to be, i just checked online and there are some places selling these @ R3799.00incl. I would rather put a deposit on something i know the full value of then having it turn into a R300 lotto ticket :/

/end rant :)

Is there anyone else except incredible doing pre orders at the RRP?

tom110584

i think i'll keep my cash for the ngp. can't wait to watch movies in bed on that beautiful 5" oled screen. <drool> the resolution of that thing is equivalent to full hd due to its smaller size. the 3ds may have 3d but that top screen isn't much bigger than the current ds' miniscule one and the resolution isn't great. the ngp actually has more innovative features than the 3ds (eg. front and back touch pads) if you take 3d out of the equation. now just to wait and see what the ngp is priced at. anything under $350 is worth it for all that cutting edge technology you'll be getting. the 3ds and ipad 2's graphical capabilities don't even come close to what sony has cooked up on the ngp.

Last edited:

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
They missed out this bit in the ad.

The other shoe we've been waiting to drop might have just done so with Nintendo's recently released 3DS warning label; not only does it caution adults to stop using the device if they start to feel ill, it also says that children under six shouldn't use the handheld's 3D functionality at all, as it may affect the development of their poor, innocent eyes.

This isn't quite as explosive a story as the mainstream media will likely make it out to be -- 3D display experts have long discussed the possible repercussions the technology has on eyesight. The worry isn't that displays like the one included in the 3DS will actually harm your vision, but that the way it "tricks" your eyes into seeing 3D might impair the way you actually see depth, which is, of course, the coolest dimension.

Of course, there's no firm research confirming these worries, but Nintendo's playing it safe -- the 3DS' parental controls will allow parents to lock the device into 2D mode for their under-six progeny.

alternate

Expert Member
I really want to get one of these.
Some of the R4 cards work but only DS games run like before.

Let the price hunting begin!

Last edited:

Tomasz-London

Not bad. Only 15% more expensive than RRP in the UK, or 30% more than here: http://www.play.com/Games/DS/4-/15476775/Nintendo-3DS-Console-Aqua-Blue/Product.html

SA public and businesses always get shafted. Public, the example is above and Business, how about credit card transaction costs (say you are a retailer) in SA, a business pays 6-7% on each transaction while in the UK 1.5-2.5%. So, next time you use your GreenBacks or FNB eBucks, guess who pays for it, YOU. :)

That's just sad.

Last edited:

TJ99

Honorary Master
Way too expensive! A nice raping for the SA customers again.

It's $250 (R1800) on Amazon...

drukkie

Expert Member
Is it just me or does it feel like these things can't compete with phones?
The 3d phone is out...real 3d without glasses...the 3d on this thing is "fake" nice idea but you have to tilt the thing the whole time to see the 3d effect...
also pads...games just looks so cool...
and you can hookup a wii remote so not buttons needed...