Nkosana Makate wants billions from Vodacom for Please Call Me idea

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I was thinking this too. Someone is behind this idiot.
He has done well for himself, you must have very high standards if you think he is an idiot, unless everyone you don't like is an idiot.

Temujin

Honorary Master
This im hoping is how it ends
Makate ends up bankrupt because of stubborn refusal to accept what was a very decent number
I suspect its only a matter of time before courts say, too late, they made you a fair offer, you've refused it for years, clearly you don't want it, they now owe you nothing, and now you need to pay their legal fees etc... and vodacom takes him to court for damages :giggle:

wheeloftrash

Executive Member
I suspect its only a matter of time before courts say, too late, they made you a fair offer, you've refused it for years, clearly you don't want it, they now owe you nothing, and now you need to pay their legal fees etc... and vodacom takes him to court for damages :giggle:
They're busy with negotiations. He doesn't have to accept vodacoms first, second or third offer. A compromise has to be reached at some point though.

WollieVerstege

What stumps me is how does a PCM in itself generate revenue?

The only way is if there is a call that resulted from the PCM, as that is what actually generates revenue. How do you prove that though? 1 PCM <> 1 phone call. Duration of the phone call will also impact revenue.

I know Vodacom subsequently placed adds etc in their PCM's but as far as I can tell, that was not part of the "original" idea.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I thought this had died down.
No matter what he gets out, most of it is going to financial backers and lawyers.

ponder

Honorary Master
Some thought he wasn't entitled to anything, we've come a long way since then, haven't we?

I still don't think he's entitled to anything.

I actually think the concourt fscked up. MTN should have entered this fray as a 3rd respondend or amicus curiae and this case would have been dead long ago. There was a patent registered from 2001 to 2007/8, that patent like all patents recognises the inventor and offers them legal protection, Makate was not that guy. You cannot reward someone that violates anothers patent rights.

I know the hate for vodacom is strong but don't let that cloud objectivity.

Glock26

Expert Member
Greed f.wit.
I hope he ends up with nothing. They made him a damn good offer, but he's holding out for the dictator-level bucks.
Yes, he came up with an idea. You don't automatically get paid every time you think up a good idea that makes your boss rich.
And what about the converse? If he came up with an idea, they went with it, and it lost money. Would he have paid them a fair share of the losses?
Dickhed

Sollie

Honorary Master
I still don't think he's entitled to anything.

I agree, he was not entitled to anything.

The problem came in when he was promised something and it was not delivered upon. Then, to compound the issue, AKC tried making it off as his own idea. In relaity it was actually an MTN idea. So - mud on faces all around. Vodacom could not argue on the grounds of prior art as that would blow up in their faces, thanks to AKC. WIthout AKC blabbering, they could have taken Makate to task for trying to mislead them.

The court case was about: Should he be rewarded based upon the promise from his manager. A verbal contract is difficult to prove, but was. The amount owed was never stated. As such it was left up to the Vodacom CEO to be fair. He would have received something like (I think, can't remember) R50k, or was it R500k, compared to what others received.

Now Makate sees all the revenue made from his (stolen) idea as his own doing, is greedy. He does not realize or refuses to see his own contribution to the revenue was minuscule, rather presuming on the total turnover.

In the meantime, we was funded by ponzi-type backers for his court case, expecting gazillions. In a previous incarnation of this topic I showed who they were. So now Makate is in a lose/lose situation.

Vodacom was not fair, nor is Makate.

Swa

Honorary Master
Big corporations and governments count on the average person not being able to touch them as they rake their users over the coals. It is why they get away with non payment, crappy service delivery or screwing you over with contractual double talk and hidden pit falls.

Any one of you who have done work for a massive company and after 6 months or even years of not getting paid and simply being told the same old time used excuse: "We don't have any documentation of this agreement" would understand why he did it.

Whatever his personal reasons are is besides the point. Here's one guy that took on a multi billion dollar entity where most people would have not even tried.
Bingo. But from what I can see it's still the big corporates going away with it. There's so many agreements in place that he'll be lucky to get out of it with a goldfish so he might as well go away now as he's won on principle. The people financing this usually only got a few million out of a case if they win so it's understandable they're seeing this as their payday but he doesn't have to entertain them.

He cannot accept R47m as his legal fees are much higher than this.
He doesn't have legal fees as Vodacom is paying for all those. These are investors looking to get paid.

First of all, PCM was not his idea, MTN initiated it.
Second, I cannot understand how you can claim the profits of an implementation while being a salaried employee of that company. It is the intellectual property of the company as you produced it for them while being paid for the service. Maybe Vodacom can claim all his salaries and interest back as he seems to have spent his time on things other than what he was employed for.
I wish people will stop with this argument and RTFCC — CC = court case. MTN also didn't invent anything so that Kahn guy should also shut up and stay out of this. Their patent is for a much different archaic IVR system.

j4ck455

Executive Member
The R47m wasn't an offer of goodwill or handout from Vodacom, they were actually compelled by the court to compensate him, based on his arguments in court, whether you think he is entitled to the payment or not is irrelevant don't you think?
I will tell you what I think, and it's that when Makate gets any money from Vodacom, everyone that has his cellphone number(s) will be sending him Please Call Me messages, this will continue even after he changes numbers, eventually he will realise the error of his ways, and will still not have any sizeable amount money to show for his dastardly deeds.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master
The R47m wasn't an offer of goodwill or handout from Vodacom, they were actually compelled by the court to compensate him, based on his arguments in court, whether you think he is entitled to the payment or not is irrelevant don't you think?
You must be confused
The court didn't determine an amount,so such a large sum is certainly a generous handout compared to what he was implied to receive and what Vodacom was on the line for
Are you being purposefully obtuse or argumentative for the sake of it?
Or are you waiting for your share of the Makate billions?

whether you think he is entitled to the payment or not is irrelevant don't you think

Uh,no. Or are you happy with disproportionate compensation in general. Those R50 000 toilet paper rolls for Eskom is fine yeah? Since there's an Agreement - even if it's not firmly rooted in reality or actual value.
The manager said he's entitled to something,the court said he's entitled to something,fair,he got an offer that was generous but based on likely unsound advice from his sponsors and reinforcement by individuals like you,now seeks to buy a medium-sized island for off-the-cuff suggesting "We should do that too".

2/10 trolling effort,you can do better Champ

TheChamp

Honorary Master
You must be confused
The court didn't determine an amount,so such a large sum is certainly a generous handout compared to what he was implied to receive and what Vodacom was on the line for
Are you being purposefully obtuse or argumentative for the sake of it?
Or are you waiting for your share of the Makate billions?

Uh,no. Or are you happy with disproportionate compensation in general. Those R50 000 toilet paper rolls for Eskom is fine yeah? Since there's an Agreement - even if it's not firmly rooted in reality or actual value.
The manager said he's entitled to something,the court said he's entitled to something,fair,he got an offer that was generous but based on likely unsound advice from his sponsors and reinforcement by individuals like you,now seeks to buy a medium-sized island for off-the-cuff suggesting "We should do that too".

2/10 trolling effort,you can do better Champ
No, I am not confused, nowhere did I claim that the court determined that he be given R47 million.

As for the rest of the rant, no idea what's up with that.

Last edited:

Bonywasawarrioraway

Expert Member
First of all, PCM was not his idea, MTN initiated it.
Second, I cannot understand how you can claim the profits of an implementation while being a salaried employee of that company. It is the intellectual property of the company as you produced it for them while being paid for the service. Maybe Vodacom can claim all his salaries and interest back as he seems to have spent his time on things other than what he was emplo

No, I am not confused, nowhere did I claim that the court determined that he be given R47 million.

you wrote,
"The R47m wasn't an offer of goodwill or handout from Vodacom, they were actually compelled by the court to compensate him, based on his arguments in court"

Certainly sounds like it.

court said compensate him, (no amount mentioned) vod offer R47m for a mere suggestion by an employee, (could have offered a packet of toffees) sounds like good will to me.

I dreamed up pre-segmented glad wrap six years before it was on the market. I didn't patent it, design it or a mechanism to make it. I never produced so much as a single square of the stuff. But it was my idea, not culled from someone else. By your measure I should be entitled to at least 20 billion don't you think?

This man is getting spectacularly bad advice from somewhere. he should have taken the 47mil and run, keeping his mouth shut while doing it. "relatives" from around the globe are queueing up for their share. After all they are as entitled as he is.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
you wrote,
"The R47m wasn't an offer of goodwill or handout from Vodacom, they were actually compelled by the court to compensate him, based on his arguments in court"

Certainly sounds like it.

court said compensate him, (no amount mentioned) vod offer R47m for a mere suggestion by an employee, (could have offered a packet of toffees) sounds like good will to me.

I dreamed up pre-segmented glad wrap six years before it was on the market. I didn't patent it, design it or a mechanism to make it. I never produced so much as a single square of the stuff. But it was my idea, not culled from someone else. By your measure I should be entitled to at least 20 billion don't you think?

This man is getting spectacularly bad advice from somewhere. he should have taken the 47mil and run, keeping his mouth shut while doing it. "relatives" from around the globe are queueing up for their share. After all they are as entitled as he is.
I don't know how it can be goodwill if one is compelled by a court, but if you insist.

I am really not interested in getting into an argument about Makate, PCM and Vodacom, I have done that plenty times before, it gets tiresome after a while. The concourt made it's ruling that Vodacom should offer reasonable compensation to Makate, Vodacom feels R47m is reasonable, Makate feels it is not, they are now back in court for the court to look at the merits of what is reasonable and what is not.

PsyWulf

Honorary Master

Pull another finger,nobody is buying what you're selling

The R47m wasn't an offer of goodwill or handout from Vodacom, they were actually compelled by the court to compensate him
Are you or are you not saying that vodacom was forced to offer something (47million)? Because you seem to be flipflopping

Let me help you out there - as my other post stated,they were indeed compelled to give something. Had the court had a number in mind they would have said give 1billion,or 120 million,or 100 000,but they didn't. So neither did they say 47 million,thus,47million is a hugely generous handout given Makate's input was the sum of "let's do what they did,but x",which couldnt even be implemented,but did lead to Vodacom's variant of the Please Call Me,the Trillion-rand moneymaker that made vodacom what it is today

JohnMao

Executive Member
This dude still pushing strong on this front? I'm sure his legal team, no matter what the amount, are going to strip him of most of the cash.
...that being the sad part. Someone has to pay for the vast army of senior and junior lawyers and investigative people assisting selflessly on this issue.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Pull another finger,nobody is buying what you're selling

Are you or are you not saying that vodacom was forced to offer something (47million)? Because you seem to be flipflopping

Let me help you out there - as my other post stated,they were indeed compelled to give something. Had the court had a number in mind they would have said give 1billion,or 120 million,or 100 000,but they didn't. So neither did they say 47 million,thus,47million is a hugely generous handout given Makate's input was the sum of "let's do what they did,but x",which couldnt even be implemented,but did lead to Vodacom's variant of the Please Call Me,the Trillion-rand moneymaker that made vodacom what it is today
You are just failing to read, so I will help you out.

The R47m wasn't an offer of goodwill or handout from Vodacom, they were actually compelled by the court to compensate him,

Now if I said,

The R47m wasn't an offer of goodwill or handout from Vodacom, they were actually compelled by the court to compensate him R47m

You would have a case.

Now coming back to what you started, you did say the offer was a handout, which clearly isn't, unless you want to invent a new definition of a handout?