No Eassy walk to cable freedom

AdLo

Expert Member
http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=314666&area=/insight/insight__economy__business/

This R300-million cable is said to be tied down by multi-government bureaucracy and, of all the mooted cables, analysts are predicting it will be the last to come online.

One analyst, who refused to be named, says the key problem is Dr Henry Chasia of Nepad’s e-Africa Commission, who crafted the Nepad protocol and is being obstinate about amending it.

“Several countries signed on the understanding that the protocol would subsequently be amended and are now heartily pissed off,” the analyst says. “One country [Zambia] signed, but the president subsequently sacked the minister. The Kenyans also see the way the protocol functions as giving the South Africans the whip hand over the whole thing.”

The analyst says that the latter is exacerbated by the fact that Chasia is married to the director general of the South African department of communications, Lyndall Shope-Mafole, and this means that he is tied so closely to the South Africans that there is little difference between the two of them.

Numerous attempts to contact Chasia for comment were unsuccessful.

Tns

Executive Member
sheesh even bloody kenya is doing better telecoms than dear old SA

Sneeky

Honorary Master
The consortium that controls the SAT-3 cable has exploited the lack of competition by charging exorbitant costs for international bandwidth, which has had a massive impact on the cost of doing business in Africa.
Correction,,,, African governments have allowed the Consortium that controls SAT-3 to exploit the African people, they (the governments) created and maintained the environment that allowed the consortium to do this.

Lyndall Shope-Mafole, rofl, still waiting for the tsunami to hit Jozi and wipe out our telecoms.
:rolleyes:

XCentricdave

[RANT]
Will someone just build a bl**dy cable please...

Polititicians just leave it alone. Be brave, be bold, make a decision and stick to it.

Greedy business people. Anyone who sees this purely as an opportunity haemmorage more money to German luxury car manufacturers, unluckly, walk away. This may come as something of a surprise, but you actually have to invest time and money into business and build a quality product at the right price that people will buy. It is from people buying your product that you make profit. This takes time.

Remember if you are a shareholder of a company (whether your stake is acquired through a BEE or conventional transation) the value of your share and the dividend return on your investment is determined by how well the company performs. If the company is wasteful, delivers nothing, and has no customers your investment is worth precisely NOTHING. No luxury German car, nothing.

[/RANT]

NoADSLyet

Expert Member
Ag Yeah, just more of the same criminal b@stards running this country to ruin!

DGremlin

Seems everyone involved is trying to ensure he/she/it/they get the gravy, the gravy boat and the train it came in on ...

Glordit

Expert Member
Thats it i am moving USA/UK/CND/ALASKA! ANYWHERE! AAAAAARG! I JUST WANT DSL AT A GOOD PRICE! 10+ GB CAP!

Oh...
Wait...
I see the light...
It Says...

W E L C O M T O S O U T A F R I C A !

YAY! Get your wallets Raped by the Un-Holy Trinity!
Telkom - RSA Government - ICASA

Enjoi your stay! and Have a nice day! :)

krycor

Honorary Master
Uys says the SAT-3 cable that runs down the west coast of Africa is running out of capacity and the delays to the Eassy cable could prove disastrous. “We desperately need international bandwidth in South Africa,” he says.

And they'd know this with certainty? Telkom says one thing one week then the other when it suits them.. which is it?? :confused:

Glordit

Expert Member
Confusion?!

And they'd know this with certainty? Telkom says one thing one week then the other when it suits them.. which is it?? :confused:

I would guess that It would be the thing they say, in the 3rd week which would probably contradict that they will say in week 4? :confused:

Wyzak

Expert Member
The analyst says that the latter is exacerbated by the fact that Chasia is married to the director general of the South African department of communications, Lyndall Shope-Mafole, and this means that he is tied so closely to the South Africans that there is little difference between the two of them.

Shope-Mafole says the fact that she might have a relationship with Chasia is not important. “I don’t see any conflict.”

Right well as long as you don't see a conflict and that the guy might have a relationship with his wife I can accept that. Here have some of my money.

Another BS article with would could should can will might.

This article and all future articles on these cables should read:

Cable 1 (EASSY, private control): Original ETA: July 2008 New ETA: November 2051
Cable 2 (SEACOM, gov control): Original ETA: April 2008 New ETA: November 2061
Cable 3 (BLAH), gov control: Original ETA: May 2008 New ETA: November 2021
Cable 4 (BOOBIES, private control): Original ETA: June 2008 New ETA: November 2031

Full stop.