No extension for driver's licences that expire between 1 September 2021 and 31 March 2022

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Bad news about driver's licences that expire before March 2022

The Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC) has confirmed to MyBroadband that drivers whose licence cards expire between 1 September 2021 and 31 March 2022 have not been given an extension to renew their licence cards.

Transport minister Fikile Mbalula announced on Friday, 27 August 2021, that the grace period for renewing licences that expired between 26 March 2020 and 31 August 2021 was extended to 31 March 2022.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Any traffic dep in East London I can pay right there and then instead of making a booking?

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Any traffic dep in East London I can pay right there and then instead of making a booking?
Gonubie or Wilsonia (not Braelyn).
But be sure to phone and confirm what they need for the eye test. Last time I checked they needed something from your optometrist.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Gonubie or Wilsonia (not Braelyn).
But be sure to phone and confirm what they need for the eye test. Last time I checked they needed something from your optometrist.
Thanks. Accept no one is picking up phones.

They stopped doing eye tests at the station?

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Everyone needs to calm down. Just pay the fine if you get pulled over for an expired licence. How often does that happen? Once a year?

Mekon

Expert Member
“To give motorists a fair opportunity to renew their licences, while we are rolling out several measures to improve efficiencies and resolve challenges, we have decided to extend further the grace period for the renewal of licences,” Mbalula said.

Really?

Isn't it maybe to "resolve stupidity and incompetence because we are the ANC and that's what we're all about" ??

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Until he extends it again. Maybe throws in some random charge for doing so.

In the age of the Internet (it has been around for a while ANC) you'd have thought we would have a proper working and possibly decentralised way to renew licenses. But no...not the case.

JayM

Expert Member
It's almost impossible to get a booking on the useless e-natis site.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Mine expires tomorrow, went last month and the damn finger print machine was offline

PaulMurkin

Schabir needs new golf clubs. His soon-to-be golfing partner also needs new kit..

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Everyone needs to calm down. Just pay the fine if you get pulled over for an expired licence. How often does that happen? Once a year?

Actually don't pay it. By paying the fine you are endorsing this utterly useless government department's ineptitude. The more people that clog up the court system by contesting their fines for an expired license, the better.

grok

Honorary Master
For now.. track record says it'll be extended again in future, ANC is good for one thing at least: kicking cans down the road..

• Haha
Reactions: "D"

Brian_G

Executive Member
This needs new research, M-Net's Carte Blanche recently said that last minute there was a decision to extend the extension for all to the end of March '22. Was said to them last Friday.