No indecent proposal, says British tycoon over murder of his South African employee - report

schumi

Honorary Master
British multi-millionaire Harvey Boulter has been charged with the shooting of his South African employee Gerhard van Wyk. This reportedly after an alleged "indecent proposal" at the tycoon's estate in Kaross, Namibia.

According to a Daily Mail report, a brawl broke out during a braai, with Boulter, 54, Gerhard van Wyk Sr, 54, and his son, Gerhard van Wyk Jr, 25, on 27 February.

Boulter, described as a controversial figure, employed military veteran Van Wyk Sr to look after his multi-million rand sprawling property. The remote estate is also home to several wild animals.

According to the report, Van Wyk has lived on the estate for the past eight years along with his wife Alta, 54, their son, Gerhard Jr, and his wife, Liani. Boulter was building a new home for the young couple and had reportedly even paid for their three-week luxury honeymoon after their wedding last year. The family and Boulter are reported to have developed a close friendship.

The Van Wyks, Boulter and an American guest were having a relaxed day at the estate on a February evening when Van Wyk Sr was shot. At the time, it was reported by The Times and other media outlets that a fight reportedly ensued after Boulter allegedly suggested that Liani sleep with him in exchange for the house he was building for them.

In the Daily Mail article, Boulter refuted the claims, with his chef Raymond Thourob and domestic worker Claudia Kaross saying their boss would not make such a suggestion.

Legal documents made no mention of a sexual favour allegation against Boulter, reported the Daily Mail.

During the scuffle, Boulter, who had been carrying his pistol on his waist, pulled out the firearm. According to Boulter, the shot went off when Van Wyk Sr grabbed the gun; the bullet he fired injured his palm and pierced Van Wyk Sr's abdomen, exiting through his back.

He died in hospital from the gunshot wound.

More at:

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I ain't waiting for no three sides, there was an indecent proposal.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Boulter was building a new home for the young couple and had reportedly even paid for their three-week luxury honeymoon after their wedding last year. The family and Boulter are reported to have developed a close friendship.

The guy was being too nice, odd that people were so taken aback when he made the indecent proposal, I mean what was everyone expecting?

Or is it a matter of our good, old fashioned entitlement of seeing nothing wrong in getting things for mahala?

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Yeah, I'm leaning towards that as well. He drank the truth serum and revealed his inner fantasies.
I don't know what other people's principles are but allowing a man to give you a job is okay, giving a job to your son, still okay, giving you and your family, as well as your son's family a place to stay, okayish but not ideal, paying for your son's honeymoon should start being uncomfortable, building your son and his family a house, all for mahala?

But maybe they were desperate and did not want to upset him but seriously? give a man some space to struggle and provide for his loved ones, taking all that away is taking a man's pride, maybe that's why he was emboldened enough to make the alleged indecent proposal.

Last edited:

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I don't what other people's principles are but allowing a man to give you a job is is okay, giving a job to your son, still okay, giving you and your family, as well as your son's family a place to stay, okayish but not ideal, paying for your son's honeymoon should start being uncomfortable, building your son and his family a house, all for mahala?

But maybe they were desperate and did not want to upset him but seriously? give a man some space to struggle and provide for his loved ones, taking all that away is taking a man's pride, maybe that's why he was emboldened enough to make the alleged indecent proposal.
Absolutely...

Cray

Honorary Master
I don't know what other people's principles are but allowing a man to give you a job is okay, giving a job to your son, still okay, giving you and your family, as well as your son's family a place to stay, okayish but not ideal, paying for your son's honeymoon should start being uncomfortable, building your son and his family a house, all for mahala?

I also think that if you are a billionaire, you just aren't used to people telling you "no".

6spdmanual

Expert Member
Didn’t know such things happen in the South African province of Namibia.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Why the hell is a British guy walking around Namibia with a pistol on his waist?

Norrad

Expert Member
Why the hell is a British guy walking around Namibia with a pistol on his waist?
Brits are so firearm controlled back home that they tend to rush to buy weapons (even illegally) when they go overseas. Most foreigners involved in firearm-related offenses in South East Asia were British expatriates in my experience during my time there.