No indecent proposal, says British tycoon over murder of his South African employee - report

Bonywasawarrioraway

Expert Member
I don't know what other people's principles are but allowing a man to give you a job is okay, giving a job to your son, still okay, giving you and your family, as well as your son's family a place to stay, okayish but not ideal, paying for your son's honeymoon should start being uncomfortable, building your son and his family a house, all for mahala?

But maybe they were desperate and did not want to upset him but seriously? give a man some space to struggle and provide for his loved ones, taking all that away is taking a man's pride, maybe that's why he was emboldened enough to make the alleged indecent proposal.
You have just described the relationship between farmer's and their employees all around the country.

Bonywasawarrioraway

Expert Member
Err... I don't think so.
Errr... then you think wrong. read the highlighted part again. Farmers employ and house their labour on the farm. In many cases they educate and then employ and house the children of their labour, on the farm in houses the farmer has to build. I didn't highlight the honeymoon.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Errr... then you think wrong. read the highlighted part again. Farmers employ and house their labour on the farm. In many cases they educate and then employ and house the children of their labour, on the farm in houses the farmer has to build. I didn't highlight the honeymoon.
I am not too much of a stranger to farm life and the living and working dynamics, but thanks for the information, it will be useful for somebody else.

Bonywasawarrioraway

Expert Member
I am not too much of a stranger to farm life and the living and working dynamics, but thanks for the information, it will be useful for somebody else.
but you felt free to rubbish the idea. If you have experience then you know its true.
You just never thought about that relationship in quite that way before, did you? It's ok.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
but you felt free to rubbish the idea. If you have experience then you know its true.
You just never thought about that relationship in quite that way before, did you? It's ok.
Disagreeing with you is not rubbish ing anything, it's just disagreeing, simple as that.

As I said I am no stranger to farm life, maybe you just assumed I was?

Bonywasawarrioraway

Expert Member
Disagreeing with you is not rubbish ing anything, it's just disagreeing, simple as that.

As I said I am no stranger to farm life, maybe you just assumed I was?
I assumed nothing of the sort. Fail to see how you disagreed then, particularly as my remark was right on the money. the similarities are exact. right down to it being "gasp" a farm.

surface

Honorary Master
I need the resident farmer expert's opinion on this before I make my decision. Has that been done yet?

Interestingly, slave owner's also had slaves at their place and at times were given food, shelter & education. So I hear. I have been told that my company provides me housing, education for kids and food by virtue of being paid as well. Everything seems to fit. Life is pretty dandy this side. And simpleton.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I assumed nothing of the sort. Fail to see how you disagreed then, particularly as my remark was right on the money. the similarities are exact. right down to it being "gasp" a farm.
My granny spent all her life on a farm, she was the one who was employed there, they organised some old barn for her, it was made habitable for her and her family.

Her children were accommodated there because she was employed there, as soon as they had children and wanted to start families they had to move out, the Baas did not build houses for them, employed them or educate their children, they found their own work elsewhere and made their own lives.

Those who wanted to stay weren't chased away but no living arrangements were made and as you can imagine it would be impractical to stay with their families in the same house, it was cramped already. On my granny's retirement the Baas built her a house on a plot my late granfather bought in Bophuthatswana, ultimately everyone moved there.

I am not saying it doesn't happen that farmers will do what the British tycoon did, any employer can but circumstances differ, it's not a given.

Bonywasawarrioraway

Expert Member
My granny spent all her life on a farm, she was the one who was employed there, they organised some old barn for her, it was made habitable for her and her family.

Her children were accommodated there because she was employed there, as soon as they had children and wanted to start families they had to move out, the Baas did not build houses for them, employed them or educate their children, they found their own work elsewhere and made their own lives.

Those who wanted to stay weren't chased away but no living arrangements were made and as you can imagine it would be impractical to stay with their families in the same house, it was cramped already. On my granny's retirement the Baas built her a house on a plot my late granfather bought in Bophuthatswana, ultimately everyone moved there.

I am not saying it doesn't happen that farmers will do what the British tycoon did, any employer can but circumstances differ, it's not a given.
I am sorry that your granny did not have a comfortable life on the farm she lived on. The farms that I had exposure to had either the all or nothing approach. This depended on how far the farm was from town. Those nearby did not house the workers on the farm and they lived in town as though they might working any other job. The farms I knew that were no close to towns included workers housing and in two cases farm schools for the children. It was never my intention to imply that this practice is followed at EVERY SINGLE farm in the country. In fact we know from several cases that have been reported in the media over the years that far less salubrious conditions have been endured by many farm labourers. Many have over the years been thrown off the farms that they grew up on or worked on their entire working lives, and this, without having a house built for them at another location as was done for your granny. Proper labour practices however, do exist at many farms in this country as much as it may suite the memory of one's particular life experiences for them not to.

The point that I was trying to make is that the practice of housing employees on your premises is normal enough in farming that doing so does not make the billionaire in this case automatically a perverted sex maniac.
He may indeed be a perverted sex maniac but the evidence therefore is unlikely to be that he built them houses. He may well have made the remark that he is alleged to have made but at this stage that is still just an allegation. By the sounds of the report he was drunk as usual and may have thought the remark hilarious, others disagreed and....... this is why guns and booze don't mix.
Of course he may turn out to be related to geoffrey dahmer and planned to eat the rest of them at his next spit braai.

It's just a little too early to tell yet. except for the booze and guns thing...they really don't mix.