No longer receiving ABSA RVN after porting from 8ta to Cell C

JMP

I recently ported my prepaid 8ta sim to Cell C prepaid. As far as I can tell everything is working except that I am no longer receiving ABSA internet banking notifications and random verification numbers via SMS. I can receive SMSes from vodacom numbers and from Capitec bank and I am getting calls from telkom landline and vodacom numbers (thats all I have tested so far)
What the heck could be the problem? I have phoned Cell C, 8ta and ABSA and each of them blames the others. I have even complained to my ABSA bank manager but the feedback I got from the ABSA technical department said: "Please note that the RVN notifications are being sent out,
Please note that the all your messages are firstly being sent to 8ta and then to Cell C.
Please note that you would need to contact the 8ta service provider and ensure that all messages are being sent to Cell C."
Does that sound like a BS story? Anyone that could shed some light would help me a lot.

ajax

Executive Member
It's your routing tables on your port that's stuffed.
This is Cell C's problem as you are paying Cell C for your telecommunication services.
Cell C will need the number or provider that ABSA is sending their sms's from.
Best is to use twitter like blunt said or pm Cell_C on this forum.

ginggs

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Super Moderator
This is Cell C's problem as you are paying Cell C for your telecommunication services.
Except in this case, ABSA are the ones who are paying someone to deliver their SMS which is not being delivered.

It could be that whomever is delivering the SMS has not taken into account that OP has ported and has sent the SMS to 8ta instead of to Cell-C.

JMP

Thanks guys, I will PM Cell_C and direct him/her to this thread. ABSA has called me back today asking me to log into my internet banking and to request a RVN from the system so that their tech support people can contact Cell C and trace the problem. Hopefully they get it sorted soon. I have been happy with cell c so far, the low data bundle prices makes a huge difference and calls are also dirt cheap and the voice and data network quality seems fine in my area.

JMP

Update: after some more testing I discovered that my number could not be reached from either the 8ta or MTN networks via voice or SMS. Informed Cell_C about it yesterday and he escalated the problem to the relevant guys behind the scenes. Today I suddenly start getting SMSes from ABSA as well as the MTN and 8ta networks. Voice calls also goes through as expected to all networks I am able to test. So it looks as if everything has been fixed.

Thanks Cell_C!

Cell_C

Cell C Representative
Company Rep
Hi JMP,

Noted, please let us know should you require further assistance regarding we will gladly assist.

Regards
Cell C | TM