No more boarding announcements at regional airports in South Africa

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
No more boarding announcements at regional airports in South Africa

Airports Company South Africa (ACSA) has announced that there will no longer be passenger boarding calls at certain airports from 1 July 2018.

“Port Elizabeth International Airport, Bram Fischer International Airport, East London Airport, George Airport, Upington International Airport, and Kimberley Airport will all be implementing the intervention to reduce noise levels at the airports,” said ACSA Corporate Affairs Manager Senior Manager Senzeni Ndebele.

ponder

Honorary Master
[video=youtube;Xiqwkx4oujo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xiqwkx4oujo[/video]

Mila

Honorary Master
Is this part of the money saving initiative. Wonder how the announcers feel about their jobs being cut?

Agree with Pacifier though.

eg2505

Honorary Master
those airports must be so quiet, not like there is a lot of traffic there anyway.

until the Santaco airlines airplane arrives that is...:D

Napalm2880

Expert Member
Is this part of the money saving initiative. Wonder how the announcers feel about their jobs being cut?

Agree with Pacifier though.

They're still employed. They're just doing less work now (only 'important' announcements).

system32

Expert Member
About time - most international airports that I've been in over the last 5 years implemented this.
Some of the announcements at OR were so loud as to distort and could not be understood.

AndyC

This is silly. Internationally every airport has numerous and continuous announcements. Why the hell would South Africa choose this path.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Its been in effect for a while in C.T.

I had the wonderful experience of a delayed flight on April 13th , with absolutely no announcements nor communication from the airline.

Their wonderful new silent policy is nothing more than another inconvenience heaped upon the traveller.

eg2505

Honorary Master
what I never understood, is why dont they hand out and collect those disks like the ones you get in steers/debonairs that vibrate.

or use an app with your boarding pass on it, and a loud ringer that cant be switched off.

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
what I never understood, is why dont they hand out and collect those disks like the ones you get in steers/debonairs that vibrate.

or use an app with your boarding pass on it, and a loud ringer that cant be switched off.

Simply use a synthesised voice system to make announcements, it is really not that difficult to implement.

upup

Executive Member
But every 2 minutes, you are in South Africa, "watch your bags".

eg2505

Honorary Master
Simply use a synthesised voice system to make announcements, it is really not that difficult to implement.

problem is the weird and wonderful Zulu/Xhosa names going to make it sound weird,
so not an ideal solution,

Priapus

Executive Member
This is silly. Internationally every airport has numerous and continuous announcements. Why the hell would South Africa choose this path.

Regional airports only. OR will still have announcements. ;)

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Upington International Airport, and Kimberley Airport will all be implementing the intervention to reduce noise levels at the airports,” said ACSA Corporate Affairs Manager Senior Manager Senzeni Ndebele.

Yes, because those airports is such a beehive of activity. :crylaugh:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
About time - most international airports that I've been in over the last 5 years implemented this.
Some of the announcements at OR were so loud as to distort and could not be understood.

Huh? Can't remember an international airports I've been to in the last 5 years that did not have such announcements.
South Africa just has people with terrible accents speaking, one doesn't understand a thing.