No more excuses for absent traffic officers during load-shedding - AA

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
No more excuses for absent traffic officers during load-shedding - AA

The Automobile Association (AA) has said that traffic law departments which do not make every effort to mitigate the impact of rolling blackouts on traffic congestion are failing motorists in the towns and cities they serve.

It added that excuses by traffic departments based on a lack of resources cannot be accepted any longer.

Bewlen

It's hard directing traffic and chomping down on KFC at the same time. Grease everywhere, can't put your 1L coke down next to you so it gets warm in the car, got to walk all the way to the car to get a second helping... no I actually sympathize with the officers.

Apogee

The AA should not be pointing fingers before getting their own house in order.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
It's hard directing traffic and chomping down on KFC at the same time. Grease everywhere, can't put your 1L coke down next to you so it gets warm in the car, got to walk all the way to the car to get a second helping... no I actually sympathize with the officers.
Followed by the obligatory tiep (sleep) afterwards.

images.jpeg

garyc

Expert Member
What does traffic policing without a profit motive actually look like?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Maybe unpopular but I think the AA is wrong here. There's no way the muni or traffic police could cope with large city load shedding and downed robots. They can maybe have enough to cover critical intersections but not the whole city.

BetaProject

Maybe unpopular but I think the AA is wrong here. There's no way the muni or traffic police could cope with large city load shedding and downed robots. They can maybe have enough to cover critical intersections but not the whole city.
This is exactly what the AA is suggesting - deploy officers to major intersections.

Jola

Honorary Master
Yes, but they don't even try, they do nothing.

Hephaestus

Forging
You mean like the traffic officer directing traffic at a downed robot with 7 of his friends standing on the side looking at him?

WorldWarII

but how do they take bribes directing traffic? I dont understand. Its impossible.

Craig

Honorary Master
I drove past an accident scene this weekend (not a cop in sight) , maybe 250 meters further is a pig sitting under a tree guarding a speed camera, what's the chance that the lazy overweight slobs will actually do anything to help tax payers that doesn't involve making easy money.

Cius

Executive Member
Growing up traffic police where a lot more visible enforcing the law. Hardly see them anymore and the only time I do is around a speed camera. No idea what they do anymore. Outsurance points-men have been a lifesaver but that much competence apparently makes the real cops look so bad they are killing that program off.

Just a perhaps ignorant question. Do we have traffic police still, or is that now the JHB metro police up here in JHB? If so does that mean mandate and duties have changed?

StevenC

Expert Member
but how do they take bribes directing traffic? I dont understand. Its impossible.
Have your R50 ready to be allowed through quicker, waving it out the window will get more attention. Please pay attention to your surroundings (vagrants) when doing so, Traffic Department will not assist with any money not directly handed to them.

• Haha
Reactions: Swa

Petec

Expert Member
This drives me nuts here on the West Coast Road in CT.
Forget loadshedding, there are some main bottleneck robots that are bust peak hour mornings, and that can easily add 40 mins to an hour to get to or from town.

NEVER a speitkop in sight! But they will sit on their fat KFC arses and trap on blind corners and behind barriers, when the chaos is hitting the fan, a k or 2 down the road. Oh yes, that they are great at doing.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
This drives me nuts here on the West Coast Road in CT.
Forget loadshedding, there are some main bottleneck robots that are bust peak hour mornings, and that can easily add 40 mins to an hour to get to or from town.

NEVER a speitkop in sight! But they will sit on their fat KFC arses and trap on blind corners and behind barriers, when the chaos is hitting the fan, a k or 2 down the road. Oh yes, that they are great at doing.
The problem is when you get a cop that doesn't seem to understand how to direct traffic at a robot and ends up treating it as a stop sign instead, ended up having ~200m take 30 minutes, while the other 8km home were just under 10 minutes.

Papa Smurf

Honorary Master
hahahahaa

but jokes aside yesterday morning at around 9:30am as i rode past Mount Nelson Hotel towards the Cape Town Cable Car there were 30-40 coppers on brand new motorbikes and jackets coming up the way in opposite direction. Total newbies. New cops or what? or just here for Cyrils boring SONA again? (that mad scientist still wants to build a bullet train from Pofadder to Uranus)

Mekon

Traffic cops just like any government dept are lazy and inept. There is a favourite trapping spot at the end of the R21 just before East Rand Mall and there are always 2 Ekurhuleni traffic cop cars there looking after 1 camera. This morning I went past a accident that had probably happened 5 minutes prior, double lane road and the accident was blocking both lanes. I watched a Ekurhuleni traffic cop bakkie drive right on by the accident. They are a bunch of inept disgraceful lazy pigs.

namzsteve

Expert Member
Yeah yeah yeah, we see traffic cops once in a while on William Nicol when there's loadshedding, but after 11am they all join forces at the fourways mall bridge on Witkoppe getting pocket money for lunch. F£ckers!!