No more freebies: Coke is ending promotion events after 'vagina' can incident

jack_spratt

Expert Member
Coke will be discontinuing its promotion events at the end of the month, after a single can with the XiTsonga word "Xitombo" – which means vagina – went viral on Twitter last week.

The word was printed onto the can during one of the beverage company's country-wide Share a Coke "activation" events, intended to build excitement around its current advertising campaign.

"We take this incident very seriously for many reasons," Camilla Osborne, spokesperson for Coca-Cola Southern Africa, told Business Insider South Africa.
Link

Lucas Buck

Expert Member
"Not only has the incident offended the Tsonga community and the public in general, but it contravenes the spirit of the campaign which is about inclusivity, respecting diversity and understanding, both of which are unacceptable."
When you say it like that it almost seems really serious. It's impressive that one vagina caused all this.

HennieWelkom

I can understand why the vagina coke is not about inclusivity, diversity, and understanding because only half the people in the world have a vagina coke, it is not diverse or inclusive and mankind has NO CHANCE of ever understanding those with a vagina coke.

Kinda reminds me of the verwoerd Jeep... the rubicon.

Currantly

I don't know if it's the same promotion, but hundreds of people were queuing for ages at my local mall for a couple of small cans of Coke Zero. Apparently, you had wait until you got into a little booth and then say something about why you liked Coke Zero so much. You couldn't pay me enough to do something that degrading...

Sollie

Expert Member
I can understand why the vagina coke is not about inclusivity, diversity, and understanding because only half the people in the world have a vagina coke, it is not diverse or inclusive and mankind has NO CHANCE of ever understanding those with a vagina coke.

Kinda reminds me of the verwoerd Jeep... the rubicon.
Word is the real upset is about the involuntary circumscisions ...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
This is one incident, a promo maliciously abused by a member of the public. A public apology will more than suffice for the community. However, I believe Coca-Cola is using this as an excuse to end the promo.

jack_spratt

Expert Member
They made an error due to Coca cola not applying their minds and understanding the Tsongo language.

This is more of an error than using the actual word itself.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Thought these things are checked before sending to print. Also, something in one language can mean something else in another language.