No more live coverage of Cricket World Cup games on SABC

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
No more live coverage of Cricket World Cup games on SABC

The SABC has confirmed that it will not be broadcasting any more live Cricket World Cup matches.

The national broadcaster outlined its remaining schedule for the event in a tweet, which shows that South Africa's remaining matches will be split between delayed TV broadcasts and radio-only coverage.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
They can't and never have done anything properly.........
OH I forgot probably no more local content in the WC.......

JustAsk

Expert Member
Makes sense to me. They have no money and why waste it on watching what more than likely shows the Proteas losing.
It wasn't a decision that was changed., i know the poor reporting make it sound like that. THis was the original offering from the start even if the Proteas were to win all the games played.

Personally i don't care, but it does show the consequences of monopolistic sport rights of national teams. Secondly it is poor of of Sabc to be able to show EPL games of foreign teams but not able to show your own national team at a world cup.

If there is ever a case of regulated sport categories by declaring some sport events of national interest, this is it...

i believe everybody should have the right to see the kark that's going on in England.

Last edited:

Swa

Honorary Master
I would say good now they'll no longer take off our shows but the SABC has reduced their lineup so much over the years that there aren't any more left to take off so I couldn't give two ****s either way any more.

Fuzzbox

Expert Member
Who gives a damn anyway.?
Up till now we have not seen any cricket yet.

Pitbull

Verboten
Do they get anything from rights sold on? I mean sabc got the right from MC who had already paid the CSA or ICC for the rights.
You are be right, however it should affect the rights to future Proteas games then going forward. Should affect what MC will be paying for it seeing as there isn't much of a demand now.

JustAsk

Expert Member
Do they get anything from rights sold on? I mean sabc got the right from MC who had already paid the CSA or ICC for the rights.
ICC event. Worldwide broadcast and rights are handled by Star Sports.

Sidenote: I sort of understand their dilemma. Cricket is not good for the ad revenue of Sabc. It's too long. Then they need to refund all the ads that was bought upfront for that time. You cant air the same amount of ads you would have aired during normal transmision. And because advertisers bought ad slots based on program/.audience, you sit with the same cricket audience for 10 hours

Last edited: