No pay cuts at Takealot despite lockdown

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
No pay cuts at Takealot despite lockdown

Takealot has been able to continue paying its staff their full salaries, despite losing over 80% of its revenue when South Africa went into lockdown on 27 March 2020.

"We've chosen not to reduce salaries at this stage," Takealot CEO Kim Reid told MyBroadband.

Gazg

Oh, is that why some of the prices for certain items have almost doubled. Now I get it.

Blackhand

I think Takealot might be in for a big shock when they are allowed to sell everything again.
Sales will still be down dramatically, as people won't have enough money to buy luxuries while they try recover their financial situation.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Something to remember is that at their scale, having third party sellers hiking prices is really, really difficult to manage. I'm not defending it, just something to think about.
Third part sellers usually bitch and moan about cents given the margins they are working with and try to remain competitive.

Takealotaldo makes use of adaptive pricing. More interest ins product and it scales. They even went as far as changing the wording on their site to bypass the ASA ruling against their inflated prices.

There's nothing to think about. They're not close to being as evil as Amazon or Oracle, but they're up there by SA standards.