No pay for workers for 4 months, says bankrupt Eastern Cape municipality

John_Phoenix

Expert Member
I wonder what effect this has on the local economy. I'd imagine these salaries introduce a fair amount of money into the system, so it must have quite a knock-on effect for local businesses.
No doubt the local restaurants, shabs and bottlestore is doing well, where do you think the 25% income comes from. And that is the problem, no new money, just recycled value.

That makes everyone poor in the long run...

air

Expert Member
Zero fcuks given, no pill for stupid room temperature IQ voters, may the workers and voters suffer.
Still pay how much for sponsorship of that soccer team. Priorities.

access

Honorary Master
yoh pretty bad.

i wonder if one can expect an influx of "refugees"...

Sinbad

Honorary Master
The people who will ultimately suffer are the residents.

Local elections due this year if the Stalin council allow it.

Ideal timing for the residents to do something about it.

itareaninotanl

Expert Member

Not something they can do.

The issue is literally BEE[corruption, cronyism, nepotism,etc which are often directly a result of BEE directives]
The ANC have top loaded councils (and government) with too many staff.
Salaries are by far the highest cost.

What needs to happen is that employee's get culled to pre-94 numbers (assuming same size muni between then and now, or appropriately scaled up for size), and performance agreements signed with all staff.

If you don't shape up, you lose your job.

Thats what needs to happen, and it needs to happen all over the country - SoE's, Home Affairs, Government, Councils etc.

Its political suicide to do so however, so it will not happen.
Short term thinking by the ANC, together with outright theft is the cause. This is the result. Failures and no money to go around.

The IMF if they deigned to give us loans (newsflash, they said heck no), would at least force the ANC into doing some of this. We're not there yet, so expect a good few more years of failure until there literally is no other option, or we go full on Zim.

The ANC doesn't take responsibility for their actions, so expect Whitey to be the scapegoat for anything that has, will, or may go wrong at any point in the future.
i.e. "- Oh noez, no money as we stole it all! It's the white peoples fault."

Thats the sad future.

Last edited:

TelkomUseless

Executive Member

And like we know... residents will keep voting them in. Empty promises.. and some free shirts solves all their problems.

R13...

Honorary Master
Not something they can do.
Why not? Residents can vote for someone else. Both traditionally ANC voters and opposition tend to stay away from the polls when the ANC doesn't deliver and when they see a situation as hopeless/inevitable ANC win, respectively. That picture of voter apathy has about 18m eligible voters choosing to stay away.
The issue is literally BEE.
The ANC have top loaded councils (and government) with too many staff.
Salaries are by far the highest cost.
How is it BEE?

SAguy

Executive Member
Why not? Residents can vote for someone else. Both traditionally ANC voters and opposition tend to stay away from the polls when the ANC doesn't deliver and when they see a situation as hopeless/inevitable ANC win, respectively. That picture of voter apathy has about 18m eligible voters choosing to stay away.

How is it BEE?
I also don't see it as a BEE issue... corruption, cronyism, nepotism, definitely... but not so sure we can call it a BEE issue.

itareaninotanl

Expert Member
I also don't see it as a BEE issue... corruption, cronyism, nepotism, definitely... but not so sure we can call it a BEE issue.
Ok,

I've used BEE as a coverall for all of those, i'll edit as people are getting hung up on that, vs the overall message.
It doesn't change the issue.

BEE does directly impact all of those - as now the only staffing can be BEE candidates;
i.e. only a Black person for a position, vs best qualified person for a position.

Nepotism and cronyism follows from that also - someones friends / family all get (highly paid) jobs for doing little to nothing. This weakens the organization and often places corrupt or incompetent people in places where they can do most harm - eg my cousin gets to approve tenders, let me know what you need.
Fronting is another issue.

BEE has done a lot of harm as implemented. Better people than me have gone over the issues.

Overall its been a key cause of weakening things, especially when tied in with the overstaffing that has subsequently occured.

Thabo Mbeki has this to say about BEE -
“BEE strikes the fatal blow against the emergence of black entrepreneurship by creating a small class of unproductive but wealthy black crony capitalists made up of ANC politicians, some retired and others not, who have become strong allies of the economic oligarchy”

“BEE and its subsidiaries – affirmative action and affirmative procurement – have metamorphosed ... they have become both the core black ideology of the black political elite and, simultaneously, the driving material and enrichment agenda which is to be achieved by maximising the process of reparations that accrue to the political elite”

Last edited:

Quicks

Expert Member

How do you get rid of the bloated workforce now. Unions will strike and burn down half of SA because some ANC Cadre decided to employ his whole family and friend to work there.

TheChamp

Honorary Master

How do you get rid of the bloated workforce now. Unions will strike and burn down half of SA because some ANC Cadre decided to employ his whole family and friend to work there.
The SABC is retrenching but I don't see half of SA burning.

profa

Honorary Master
If I were a worker, doing my job at that municipality, I would take action against those that have literally taken food from my table. But that's me.