No scientific evidence that vaping is 95% safer than smoking

Bobbin

Executive Member
But there's no tar in vaping as with cigarettes/tobacco. I'm a non-smoker but thought that was obvious?

Oculate

Honorary Master
QFT!

Around 30% of current cancer deaths in the US are caused by tobacco. According to the World Health Organization, tobacco is ‘the only legally available product that kills up to one half of its regular users when consumed as recommended’.

Although nicotine is addictive, it’s tar that kills. A meta-analysis of 35 clinical trials found no evidence of cardiovascular or other life-threatening adverse effects caused by nicotine intake, and nicotine did not increase cardiovascular risk, even in patients with established cardiovascular disease.

saor

Honorary Master
But there's no tar in vaping as with cigarettes/tobacco. I'm a non-smoker but thought that was obvious?
It's more the flavourants & other ingredients that haven't been sufficiently tested to warrant the '95% better than smoking' label.

daveza

Honorary Master
It's more the flavourants & other ingredients
What other ingredients ?

It's propylene glycol, vegetable glycerine, nicotine ( optional ), and flavouring.

By comparison there are approximately 600 ingredients in cigarettes. When burned, they create more than 7,000 chemicals.
At least 69 of these chemicals are known to cause cancer.

It's a no-brainer that vaping is monumentally safer than cigarettes - I really don't care whether it is 95% safer or only 68% safer.

kallie_marie

Chewing tobacco also causes cancer

edit: I mean "chewing tobacco" not you chewing on a cigarette

Hosehead

Executive Member
What other ingredients ?

It's propylene glycol, vegetable glycerine, nicotine ( optional ), and flavouring.

By comparison there are approximately 600 ingredients in cigarettes. When burned, they create more than 7,000 chemicals.
At least 69 of these chemicals are known to cause cancer.

It's a no-brainer that vaping is monumentally safer than cigarettes - I really don't care whether it is 95% safer or only 68% safer.
People overlook the damage of toxicity produced by superheated plastics in the filler and Atty
I would imagine the first and second generation of devices and liquids were probably more
Toxic than later ones as in gen 1 there was a whole lot of inhaling burnt stuff
I'm no chemist but melted plastic and filler forms other compounds surely.

Unhappy438

Honorary Master
People overlook the damage of toxicity produced by superheated plastics in the filler and Atty
I would imagine the first and second generation of devices and liquids were probably more
Toxic than later ones as in gen 1 there was a whole lot of inhaling burnt stuff
I'm no chemist but melted plastic and filler forms other compounds surely.
Where is the plastic coming from?

daveza

Honorary Master
What is selfish about vaping ?

Last edited:

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
What is selfish about vapinng ?
You never come across the types that vape away in any public setting whether or not there happens to be a no smoking sign? I've seen people do it in concerts and even the cinema seemingly thinking the lack of nicotine means people can magically see through the cloud they cause or that people now want to inhale their 2nd hand "flavour"

saor

Honorary Master
You never come across the types that vape away in any public setting whether or not there happens to be a no smoking sign? I've seen people do it in concerts and even the cinema seemingly thinking the lack of nicotine means people can magically see through the cloud they cause or that people now want to inhale their 2nd hand "flavour"
It does come across as kinda obnoxious when people in public places breathe out such a ridiculous amount of smoke that everyone else now has to wade through.

daveza

Honorary Master
Yup, you get inconsiderate vapers no doubt about that.

But to label them ALL as selfish/inconsiderate is like calling all vehicle drivers reckless because a few are.

daveza

Honorary Master
It does come across as kinda obnoxious when people in public places breathe out such a ridiculous amount of smoke that everyone else now has to wade through.
It's steam, not smoke.

saor

Honorary Master
Take that vape pipe out of your blood mouth - you look like you are sucking a penis ffs. Either smoke cigarettes or don't.
This is the 2nd time I've seen you make this ridiculous comment.

Kerrits

95% chance of making you a douche bag though.
This is the same conundrum as the Porche/small penis one. Does vaping turn you into a douche bag, or do you vape because you are a douche bag by nature?