No Tobacco Sales During Lockdown?

WaxLyrical

Honorary Master
Good - it's propensity to kill civilians makes it non essential.

We're trying to stay alive here.

ponder

Honorary Master
Also, regular smokers are almost guaranteed to have more severe symptoms of this CoVID-19 thing.
Whether you buy a 100 cartons today or spread it out with buying bread, milk etc makes no difference, people are still going to smoke & drink. These rules are stupid and have nothing to do with containment. Most people will stock up with more than they usually consume just in case they run out.

daveza

Honorary Master
My understanding - they will sell cigarettes.

However once their stock is finished they will not be re-supplied.

SlowInternet

Executive Member
Shops close to me says "No tobacco" sales after 12 tonight. The Engen garage close to me also has a sign to the same effect. (Just for the record - I do not smoke. Gave it up many years ago)

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
My understanding - they will sell cigarettes.

However once their stock is finished they will not be re-supplied.
I know where the Phillip Morris/Leonard Dingler factory/warehouse is. The area should be pretty quiet during lockdown - no essential businesses adjacent - if you'd like to restock yourself?

RedViking

Nord of the South
The problem with smoking is it will give you a reason to return to the shop on a daily basis. Smokers are creatures of habits. Everything from buying the smokes, when you smoke, how you smoke and suck.... is a habit. Habits take a long time to break, if at all. The easiest way to prevent this is to remove it completely.

daveza

Honorary Master
The problem with smoking is it will give you a reason to return to the shop on a daily basis. Smokers are creatures of habits. Everything from buying the smokes, when you smoke, how you smoke and suck.... is a habit. Habits take a long time to break, if at all. The easiest way to prevent this is to remove it completely.

I don't need smokes to give me a reason to go to the shop every day.

Any excuse to get in the car, drive to the Spar parking lot, see some new faces through my window and then drive back to my kennel till tomorrow.

Zophos

Expert Member
Just like your habit of talking k@k and pointing out the obvious......? :)

Zophos

Expert Member
You've got a point there.
True.

I do agree that the habit of going to a shop to buy smokes daily is potentially a spreading point for the virus.
But then I could also argue that Government could have stopped the sale of single packets, and just allow the sale of cartons to reduce the risk.

Same with Alcohol sales.

daveza

Honorary Master
Why would anyone go to the store to buy one pack of cigs ?

Flanders

Honorary Master
Have you ever had to deal with a nicotine addict that isn't getting their fix? It's dire.
A nicotene addict that, yesterday, thought they were going into a lock down and today discovers they're going into rehab - against their will. :eek::ROFL: