No update on Apple Pay in South Africa

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
Staff member
No update on Apple Pay in South Africa

Following the successful launch of Samsung Pay in South Africa, there has been no update from Apple about its competing service expanding into the country.

Samsung Pay is a payment app compatible with selected Samsung smartphones and allows South Africans to make payments on card machines using their smartphone.

Gathu

Samsung Pay has been surprisingly, no amazingly good for me, working on all the machines presented so far, even the oldest crap. The reaction of the cashiers was also quite surprising - thought I would get chased out of shops, but instead people are calling their friends over to watch and accepting and more important, wanting this technology.
This Pay technology might be a bigger boost for Samung than thought if Apple and Google Pay doesn't come to the party

krycor

Honorary Master
Samsung Pay has been surprisingly, no amazingly good for me, working on all the machines presented so far, even the oldest crap. The reaction of the cashiers was also quite surprising - thought I would get chased out of shops, but instead people are calling their friends over to watch and accepting and more important, wanting this technology.
This Pay technology might be a bigger boost for Samung than thought if Apple and Google Pay doesn't come to the party

Remember that for the old, old pos devices Samsung Pay simulates magstripe via the reader(see acquisition a few years back) so if the merchant has this allowed, then yes.. will work on old devices too. Though i'd hope it is chip/icc contactless via the emv.

Anyone know what Samsung is charging though? Apple pay i'm pretty sure needs to enabled bank side as i recall most of the negotiations in other countries were with banks but maybe it is acquiring/merchant side too.