No Windows 8 upgrades on Afrihost or Axxess in South Africa

Spynx

Afrihost was good but now it seems they *****ed up with the new move to mtn.

DTBA

Expert Member
I can see how there will be a hack to get around this in a day or 2:D if they dont fix it

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Guildwars does the same thing, it does no know which region you are from, so just puts and IP address. Before Afrihost moved to MTN it would say you are from SA.

CeeBee

Expert Member
the yellow network a problem, again? not ayoba!
anybody tried connecting with voda/cell-c/8ta, then after purchase is done, and downloading begins, switch back to ADSL? or does it give the middle finger when u disconnect from 3G?

astrauss

the yellow network a problem, again? not ayoba!
anybody tried connecting with voda/cell-c/8ta, then after purchase is done, and downloading begins, switch back to ADSL? or does it give the middle finger when u disconnect from 3G?

Even on Vodacom I get the same error message as on Afrihost ADSL

oronte

Expert Member
I hope Afrihost fixes this soon, I was so excited about installing Windows 8, I get home and nothing.

Hummercellc

Expert Member
This is a Microsoft problem, not a ISP problem... Nothing Afrihost can do until Microsoft update the Geo Locations for Afrihost's IP Block.....

gregmcc

Honorary Master
This is a Microsoft problem, not a ISP problem... Nothing Afrihost can do until Microsoft update the Geo Locations for Afrihost's IP Block.....

+1

I don't know what everyone is getting so excited about.

MS just need to change their code. If IP range=105.0.0.0/8 then South Africa!

CeeBee

Expert Member
still... what is that s**t of companies denying you purchasing, based on the area you seem to be from?! Your money is not good enough if you are from X country... yes Apple, talking about you too!
A company pushing away eager and willing customers, especially in current world economic situation, clearly still make too much profit!

Penquin

Expert Member
I can see how there will be a hack to get around this in a day or 2:D if they dont fix it

I hope Afrihost fixes this soon, I was so excited about installing Windows 8, I get home and nothing.

There is a way around if you have another account. I started the upgrade assistant with my FNBconnect account, went through the whole purchase procedure and as soon as it starts downloading, pause your download. Put your afrihost details back in to your modem and continue the download. I'm about 60% into the 2GB download at the moment.

SouldaFusion

No this is an ISP issue that is more far reaching than just not being able to download Windows 8. When I log onto Speedtest.net it seems to think I'm originating from the UK. On top of that if I try watch any videos on SuperSport is says I am not from the correct region. I would assume there will be any other sites where this will cause issues.

It has nothing to do with MS geo location issues. They expect to see an IP originating from SA however MTN managed to cock it up. Axxess/Afrihost better apply serious pressure on MTN to get this sorted out or they will be losing many customers. Not a good start to the change over, not a good start at all.

SouldaFusion

still... what is that s**t of companies denying you purchasing, based on the area you seem to be from?! Your money is not good enough if you are from X country... yes Apple, talking about you too!
A company pushing away eager and willing customers, especially in current world economic situation, clearly still make too much profit!

How can MS give you a price in Rands if the IP address is 'originating' from the UK. I would think MS is seeing these IPs as spoofed.

Space_Chief

Honorary Master

It's retarded. Why not do it like Amazon and just use the credit card billing address to confirm location? U know, Apple does this.

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
How can MS give you a price in Rands if the IP address is 'originating' from the UK. I would think MS is seeing these IPs as spoofed.

Seeing a price in Rands is not an issue. They can't buy the product at all. IP Geolocation is stupid. What about Americans who travel abroad for business and holiday, now they can't get Windows? They should have an option to select your country like CNN, Amazon of iTunes.

SouldaFusion

Seeing a price in Rands is not an issue. They can't buy the product at all. IP Geolocation is stupid. What about Americans who travel abroad for business and holiday, now they can't get Windows? They should have an option to select your country like CNN, Amazon of iTunes.

I've just checked out the site and only certain regions are eligible for the upgrade. IP geolocations are stupid but they are enforced by lots of companies. I have an Amazon account with a UK bank account registered to a UK bank account but if I try download MP3s in SA is bounces me because I'm not in a valid region.

On the MS site you select your region as SA however MTN is originating the IPs from the UK which doesn't match. Really can't blame MS for this one. I place the blame purely at Axxess, Afrihost and MTNs doors.