noise on Asus Xonar MKII

joker08

Expert Member
I recently acquired an Asus Xonar MKII and cant get rid of the noise that I hear when the RCA Cable is connected to my logitech Z623. I already have a creative soundblaster Z connected to my motherboard, this gives me no problems. What I have tested till now with the Xonar:-

- headphones, no noise
- connected speakers to the headphone jack using a 3.3mm cable, no noise.
- connected speaker with RCA cable - audible noise
- alternate RCA cable - audible noise
- moved the speakers and Xonar away form all wires that might cause interference/noise - noise
- I connected the same speakers to the creative sound card using a 3.5mm cable and no noise. However, the soundblaster doesn't have an RCA out so connects using the 3.5mm jack.
- tested speakers on TV, no noise.
- tested on laptop so that there is no interference on the wires. No noise.

So it seems that the RCA wire is picking up interference from the surrounding. any suggestions ??

joker08

Expert Member
I am using this cable. It's a little difficult to pull out the entire cable so just posting the pic of the cable going in the card
760aaa6fae1087606acfcfeb579f509d.jpg

Tovad

What type of noise?
Hum - then it is an earth loop i.e. Xonar and speaker are connected through two or more earth pathways
Whistling - RF interference/PSU noise - try another USB connector or move speaker mains plug to different outlet etc.

I see you also posted 5 days ago on carbonite forum
Could also look at this

joker08

Expert Member
What type of noise?
Hum - then it is an earth loop i.e. Xonar and speaker are connected through two or more earth pathways
Whistling - RF interference/PSU noise - try another USB connector or move speaker mains plug to different outlet etc.

I see you also posted 5 days ago on carbonite forum
Could also look at this

no one replied on the carbonite forum so I pasted here :)
its kind of a hum with static, like the one u used to get on an old faulty telephone or an analog radio which is not tuned properly.

Hum - then it is an earth loop i.e. Xonar and speaker are connected through two or more earth pathways :- the speaker is 2 pronged, no earth connection and its all connected to the same spike guard.

Whistling - RF interference/PSU noise - try another USB connector or move speaker mains plug to different outlet etc. I can even hear the static change when I move my mouse. I tried a different USB cable and a different port still no difference.

Tovad

You will need to systemically eliminate every source of noise - for example if you have a battery powered amplifier (Bluetooth type setup but with a direct rca/jack input) see if that reduce/eliminates the noise - then you will know it is transmitted through the mains.

KhoisanX

Expert Member
I can even hear the static change when I move my mouse.

I had the same issue and after a lot of troubleshooting it turned out to be noise on the shared ground. In your case it seems that poorly shielded USB ports are a more likely cause though. Have you tried the sound card and speakers on a different PC or laptop?

joker08

Expert Member
I had the same issue and after a lot of troubleshooting it turned out to be noise on the shared ground. In your case it seems that poorly shielded USB ports are a more likely cause though. Have you tried the sound card and speakers on a different PC or laptop?
Yes, no noise on other laptop.

joker08

Expert Member
You will need to systemically eliminate every source of noise - for example if you have a battery powered amplifier (Bluetooth type setup but with a direct rca/jack input) see if that reduce/eliminates the noise - then you will know it is transmitted through the mains.
there is no noise on the speaker when sound card is connected with a laptop. so definitely its 1something is coming from the desktop